Leaking Radiator Valve When Heating Off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Woke up to a very wet carpet where a radiator valve had leaked.

I can see where it has leaked (the joint where the thermostatic valve attaches), but am at a loss as to why - the central heating hasn't been on at all for several months.

Any suggestions as to what could have caused it to leak?

Sponsored Links
Could be a pipe been too tightened so has crucnched the olive , or not tight enough , hard to say till you see it and have a look at it

I'm just a bit confused as to why it would leak when there's nothing flowing through it - I would have expected a leak to be more likely when the pump is on.

The pipework is still under pressure, albeit not by much, as the header tank in the loft will be topped up with water. Quite a head of water above.

Has Mrs Realpolitik been round with the hoover a bit too rigerously lately ;) and knocked it!

Sponsored Links
Make a hole in the bottom of a bucket then fill the bucket with water.
The bucket will eventually empty, even though there's "nothing flowing through it".

agree the water is still in the pipe it has no where to go and will be under pressure depends on header tank position on metres head

I understand why the water leaks out, just surprised that it started doing so when the heating is off rather than on.

The cause of the leak will probably have nothing to do with whether the pump is on or off. It would have started to leak either way.

I understand why the water leaks out, just surprised that it started doing so when the heating is off rather than on.
the system , when hot expands and can seal micro leaks - cools, contracts and there is the leak ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back