Leaking toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After stripping all the paper off our hall/stairs/landing the other week we have noticed a small patch of plaster on the wall on the otherside of the bathroom that is getting wet/then drying out.

Anyway to cut a long story short we've noticed that there is a small drip coming from a hole 3/4 of the way up the side of the cistern (I assume an overflow pipe would have gone here if the toilet wasn't so close up against the wall).

It only leaks overnight, when the toilet hasn't been used for a few hours. The ball valve seems to slowly drip more water into the cistern and consequently fill too much.

So my question is: Can the ball valve be adjusted to stop dripping or is it better to get a new one??

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Change the washer, or the whole valve (cheap), and fit an overflow or use a flush valve with an internal overflow.

I had exact same problem. Adjusted ball valve problem solved.

Listen to Chris.

What happens when your inlet valve eventually fails and your drip becomes a flood???

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies. Not had chance to get back to this forum until now.

I have decided to get a new torbeck valve and a new flush valve with internal overflow. I have seen these at ScrewFix:

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;j...THZOCFFA?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=14716-88

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;j...THZOCFFA?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=44047-88

There are two sizes of siphon 9.5" and 8". Is it a simple case of measuring the old one and getting the same size?

Finally, is there any other bits I am likely to need or worth replacing like washers/seals etc that I can buy at the same time?

Thanks, Mark

How about a blanking plug to put in the unused overflow hole?

I used a plug made for covering unused tap holes in basins.

Make sure the internal overflow level is below the hole in the side of your cistern.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back