Leaking WC Waste Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

After discovering my first floor en-suite floor soaked in water and a drip coming through the ceiling directly below I eventually removed all the pipe boxing behind the WC and found it was the waste pipe connection that was loose.

I have now refitted the connection and it seems tight and secure so hopefully problem solved.

What alarms me though, is two-fold:

1) Waste pipe from WC to soil pipe has a rise on it. Surely this cannot be right!

2) Rubber gasket fitting at connection of pan to waste appears to have been attached wrong way round.

I attach a photo to show the two issues. I would appreciate some feedback before I take my issues to the housebuilder.

[/img]

Sponsored Links
This looks as big as a bodge that you can get......
The fact that the outlet rises a bit means there won't be adequate clearing of the pan contents, and the seals will always be likely to leak at some point.
The white pan connector should have its sealing labyrinth on the end that couples to the pan - it looks like the installer has pinched a ribbed seal from the other end of the fitting.
We wonder how the connection is made from the pan connector into the black soil pipe.....?
This set up will always give bother, in my opinion.
John :)

Would it be possible to raise the pan to get a slight fall which would be better than what you have.Agree with burnerman and that will always be a problem.S**t don't flow uphill.

Thanks for your replies Burnerman & 45yearsagasman.

I am currently trying to convince the customer care department of the housebuilding company that they should fork out for the repairs and other related problems (ruined flooring, skirting, pipeboxing, etc). The house is 7yrs old and well out of it's 2yr warranty period but I reckon that this issue should be dealt with as it was not fit for purpose.

I attach an annotated picture of the pan connector used showing the types of seal that were used.

GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
I didn't think it was possible to fit the seal you indicated incorrectly :eek: but the one on the other end can be repositioned if the pan connector is cut to length as necessary.
You are still faced with the curious predicament of needing sewage to run uphill though....as said before the easiest way is to raise the toilet pan a little but this often feels perculiar for the user!
Keep us informed of any progress, and best of luck to you.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back