Leaking Window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have water leaking in near the floor and window. Can't really see how it's getting in but the double glazing is only 6 months old so I can call them out to fix it if that's the fault. Any other advice?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Take a pic from outside! Are you a bungalow or house

Oh it looks like its not related to the window after all. It must be this. What's left of the mortar is very soggy.

It's going to rain again tonight and tomorrow so I'll see what happens. I guess the rain is getting behind the white bit (soffit?) then running down the wall and into the hole.

Might be better off in Building or Roofing/Guttering forums.

Sponsored Links
I was oing to say maybe a tile missing as that looks like its leaking into the cavity area

There are no missing tiles. Can't see any other problems with the tiles or gutter either. Don't really understand how its happened.

Has the Fascia been replaced? Most probably has and top brick been disturbed! Just re-mortar the joint and should be fine.

On further look at picture. Make sure that is actual mortar in between those bricks and not something else? Just get mortar into necessary place and should be fine after that.

Thanks, the facia hasn't been repalced, but that's the double glazing next to the brick so tha'ts when the brick will have been disturbed.

The hole is about 8cm deep. Can I squirt sealant in the hole and then mortar over it or is it best to just stcik with mortar and poke it down the hole?

I myself would dig out the stuff that is there now which feels weak and just repoint with new mortar mix.

Just expanded your pic and must say that doesn`t look like mortar in between those bricks to me? Can you give a wider picture of that area?

Yes I would dig out anywhere that is looking as though mortar is missing. Can see some places on top course and one below it. Also on the height of the 3 inch brick join appears to be some mortar missing. Do that and it should really be tickety boo is my bet. Shouldn`t take you too long. Good luck. Let us know if your problem is resolved after doing it.

Belated update. Repointing didn't stop the leak. It looks like the soggy mortar was a result of the leak, not the cause. Look how wet the wall is, this is a picture of the room below even after a day of drying out.

So the water is getting in behind the bricks I think and running down the inside and soaking through.

Here's a picture of the roof. It doesn't look right. The bottom tile is pointing upwards so rainwater is collecting underneath it.

That facia needs taking off and redoing so the tiles slope downwards properly right?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back