Leaky chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house is from the 60’s when coal fires were still popular. Up in the loft the flue stack is concrete block. There is a cowl over the chimney, but I think when there is heavy rain, water comes in the flue and seeps out of the mortar lines making brown stains.
I’m wondering what is the best solution to stop this?
The combination of soot and moisture creates an acrid smell in a bedroom below the flue stack.

Sponsored Links
You need someone to go up on your roof to see where the rain is coming in

My house is from the 60’s when coal fires were still popular. Up in the loft the flue stack is concrete block. There is a cowl over the chimney, but I think when there is heavy rain, water comes in the flue and seeps out of the mortar lines making brown stains.
I’m wondering what is the best solution to stop this?
The combination of soot and moisture creates an acrid smell in a bedroom below the flue stack.

Get someone up there, to check the flaunching, the lead around the chimney, the pointing and that the cowl is adequate to keep rain out. Does the original fireplace have a vent? Some air flow up a chimney is essential to allow it to remain dry.

For years I could see brick shaped marks through the plaster and the wallpaper in our front bedroom. A result of poor flaunching allowing rain water seepage into the chimney.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back