leaky patio door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need advice, I have patio doors at the back of the house and over the last couple of years they have started leaking this year was particularly bad the walls at the side of the doors are very damp and my wooden flooring is soaking at the door I will be lucky to save it. Trouble is I am not sure where the water is leaking in from . I used a waterproof sealantall round the frame in jan to get over the winter but the wet has pushed it off. I think it is the seal/flashing arround the door frame where it meets the wall and floor I cannot see anything but to be fair I am at the stage where I do not know what I am looking for.
So here is the question do you think that someone would take the door out apply new flashing and sealant or whatever it needs and put the doors back in, there is nothing wrong with them and to be honest I cannot afford to replace them just now, on the other hand I cannot have water pouring in either. So where am I likely to find someone reliable to do it it is not a joinary job and window/door companies will want to replace. It was the kind of thing we might have tackled at one time but that time has gone.
Advice and suggestions please :confused:

Sponsored Links
No they are not sliding doors they open inward.

I have had another look and I am thinking that the seal is looking worn but that would not have caused the amount of water we were getting in.

A builder was in at a neighbours house today (something about her garage) I am thinking I could ask him to have a look but I like to know what I am talking about so if you have any ideas I would be grateful.
Thank you

Check for drainage holes/slots in the bottom frame (the threshold), water could be sitting in this frame unable to drain away

Sponsored Links
Inward opening, have they got door drips fitted? Make sure you lift the handles even when the doors are unlocked so the compresion cams are pulled in.

Thank you for the idea about the handles because when it came to opening the doors for the builder to have a look at ....I could not get them opened until I remembered what you had said, worked a treat I am not sure what the compression cams are but I am going to asume that they are the metal connector things on the top and bottom of the doors that enable you to close open and lock the doors and they are sticking but a good clean and wd40 should take care of them.
I am deeply embarrassed :oops: to say that I had not noticed but though the seals are now leaking marginally the main problem seems to be that the builder fitted the door frame the wrong way round 18 years ago! and instead of the dainage holes draining the excess water outside it has been draining inside he recons that with the severe previous winter the seals are failing so more excess water started coming in, it probably has been doing so for a few years now. He is going to put drainage holes to the outside and block up the inside ones and reseal etc.
It was a bit of luck that the builder was working next door but I am relieved that the doors do not need taken out and reinstalled it would have been more sensible to replace them but just beyond me at present.
Can I say thank you to all of you for your suggestions they were most helpful, at least I felt that I had some idea of what to look for and ask,
and I am fairly sure I do not have them but what are door drips? :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back