patio door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all having problems finding out what type of locking mechanism is on my patio door.

its a sliding door type, with the 4 screws in the door frame. on the door its self, it sits flush on the door when you push the handle down a steel bar inside the door slides under the screw heads . i've taken the lock out an there is no name make nothing on the lock.

any ideas what type am asking for or where i can get 1 of theses locks ?

Sponsored Links
Can you take a phot of the mechanism - should help to identify it. You don't say why your replacing it - faulty?

barrel is union, the cog that slides the locking bar up has snapped off so cant lock the door havent got a pic at mo its for my mums house but needs sorting asap as no other way to lock it

Sponsored Links
I ve exhausted all my suppliers catalogues so i've basically googled 4 point patio door lock and it comes back with plenty of possibilities but you need to have the mech in your hand to check certain measurements

any 1 ????

Not enough information provided, and a photo always helps.

Like asking to identify a car thats parked on your mums drive. Its got 4 wheels, doors, its blue in colour, and the key says Ford. It could be any of a number of models. A photo would identify it almost immediately. Even a line drawing/sketch could help lower the possibilities.

I'm not having a pop - just trying to get across that what your asking is very vague, when there are a number of possibilities to choose from.

Photo-0152.jpg

Photo-0153.jpg

Photo-0154.jpg

any better lads? I cant find anythink on these barrel is shaw not union[/img]

Right, try these guys......

BHD (british home doors)
Unit 1 Lovel Lichfield Road Industrial Estate, Tamworth, Staffordshire B79 7TA

p: 01827314748 f: 01827314789

Its a long shot but this looks like one of theirs. I worked for a national emergency glaziers once and the company were given or won the contract to replace every glass unit in every patio door and conservatory for BHD as they were rubbish and were all failing. BHD sold their products through B&Q, Wickes and the like, this looks like one of their doors and may give you a contact number for their lock suppliers.

But prepare yourself to be told these doors or the locks are now obselete, it may pay to put it back together and ring your insurance company and tell them you've been a bit heavy handed and you broke it, do not say its an old door or been a bit hard to lock in the past as they'll say its wear n tear BUT they'll send their approved locksmiths out to confirm so tell them the same if you chose to go down the insurance route.

Depending who your insured with they'll send either Homeserve, Evander glazing and locks or Solaglas-Windowcare, if they cant source the lock it'll need a new door but try BHD first though.

Hope this has helped :cry:

The lock is indeed obsolete with no alternative (according to one of my catalogues). I've attached a link to the relevant catalogue for you to confirm sizes etc. You'll need to view pages 42-43.

http://duffells.clikhost.co.uk/new_cat/

If you don't want to go down the insurance route, you could try a local double glazing repair firm (look in the yellow pages) to see if they can repair the mechanism. There should be no charge for the callout.

An alternative would be to disable the locking part of the mechanism, and fit some patio door bolts to secure the door.

FFFFS BL**DY TPYICAL! thanks lads ! 1 last question for u will a mushroom lock fit in, its wood so i can chase i wider or deeper?

Nothing to stop you splicing in some timber to fill the mortices, then retro-fitting a new mechanism. Just ensure you don't purchase a mechanism that's too deep (the case), otherwise you could find yourself drilling into the glazing.

Have a chat with these guys. Good choice of mechanisms and advice, and they sell to the public. http://www.multipointlocks.co.uk/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back