Leaky pipes and stopcock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just found out last night that my bath taps and stopcock by the front door have been leaking, possibly for years, causing servere damp in the walls.

Once fixed will this dry out eventually, or is there more serious damage to be caused. What action should I take next?

It's a converted flat in terraced house built in about 1900.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
I just found out last night that my bath taps and stopcock by the front door have been leaking, possibly for years, causing servere damp in the walls.

why are the bathtaps by the front door :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

should be ok once the leak is fixed might need a spot of plaster tho

if memory serves walls dry out an inch thickness a month approx

:oops: Sorry that wasn't very clear. They are two separate leaks. One upstairs in the bathroom and running down the back wall of the flat and one downstairs by the front door leaking down to the flat below. Just wondered if the brick work would be damaged or it can just dry out in the summer and a bit of help with a de-humidifier inside. This could have been dripping for years as it's a very negleglected flat.

Thanks for the help. Going to get both leaks fixed by a pro to save anymore trouble, and have been quoted an hourly rate.

How long would it take to replace a stopcock that is easily accessible under a floorboard, and also to change a section of piping leading straight to the hot and cold taps in a bathroom, that can be accessed by pulling the bath panel off?

I know you can't discuss price, but if I had an idea of time, and worst case scenario I could get an idea from the prices I've been quoted on what to expect.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
modmonkey said:
How long would it take to replace a stopcock that is easily accessible under a floorboard, and also to change a section of piping leading straight to the hot and cold taps in a bathroom, that can be accessed by pulling the bath panel off?

Thanks.

couple of hours if he has all the bits :?: take off bath panel and lift boards as thats monkey work.

stopcock under a floorboard :confused: :confused: :confused: what happens if you drill a pipe and need to turn off water in a hurry? Might be worth installing one of those surestop valves after the new stopcock and having the off button above the boards!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back