Leaky roof, how to fix and cost ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I went into my loft today to check for leaks after all the rain we've had. There's nothing in the loft, just rafters and tiles when you look up and ceiling joists & insulation when you look down.

The house is a semi and at the end where my house joins onto next door I can see daylight between the tiles and the brick chimney, the insulation on the floor directly below that is wet to the touch.

How would this be fixed and how much would I be looking to pay to a roofer ?

Does it just need new flashing ?

Sponsored Links
Get your local paper and call 3 roofers to come round and quote you what needs to be done.

Or if possible ask friends or family for recommendations.

Andy

Thanks for the reply.

If it is just some flashing that needs replacing, and it's only around the chimney that would need it. How much should I be looking to pay ?

I need to know roughly what it would cost ready for when I'm having people over giving me quotes.

Lead is expensive and chimneys are much bigger up close. Google lead sheet and then add £200 for a day's pay.

Sponsored Links
If it's just the engine that needs replacing and it only comes from australia how much would that be? ;)

But, if it's old lead from 50 yrs ago, it will be thicker than the new stuff, should weigh more at the scrapyard.
Maybe you could get them to take the old lead as payment? :mrgreen:

I've got someone coming next week, £130.00 for the job.

He had a look and said something about tin being used under the lead flashing which has rusted and waters getting in that way. I can see daylight from inside my loft so obviously the flashing has come away aswell. I only started learning about roofing when I noticed this problem a week ago so I barely know anything but I didn't think tin was used in roofing ? It is a very old house though (survey said built around 1900) so maybe tin was used 100years ago? I should call him again for more details.

He didn't mention replacing the flashing but if he does I'll make sure he leaves the old stuff behind, how much might it be worth ? My house is a semi and the flashing just goes around the chimney.

I did think £130 was a very good price so maybe he's expecting to walk away with any old lead aswell as £130?

I should also say that the rafter closest to the chimney is very damp, there's a line of moisture directly below the rafter where water has dripped.

If he can re-lead your chimney for £130 then he's welcome to the old lead. (worth a couple of quid).

I don't think he's looking to replace the lead, just whatever it is that's underneath it.

Can any roofers chirp in on this ? The problem is moisture getting into my loft, the rafter closest to the chimney is damp and there's a line of moisture following the line of the rafter directly below it on the floor, so that's obviously where the water is coming in from. I can see daylight above that rafter in two places but all other rafters are dry.

I don't know enough about roofing to know if what I'm being told is true but he's saying he has to change something that sits under the flashing. I'm assuming he would change that and and seal the two gaps & any other parts of the roof that are letting water in, thus fixing the problem. Does any of that make sense to anyone here that's in the know ?

Why did he say tin ? I'm worried he's gonna turn up and fix the wrong thing. He didn't have a proper look at the problem from inside the loft because he couldn't get up the loft hatch (I only have a step ladder to get up there and he was quite small). So he just poked his head up the hatch and had a look around!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back