leaning garden wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My garden wall is 20' long, 5' high and 9'' thick. The last 3 years stared leaning towards my garden. Is it possible to repair it without rebuilding it?

Sponsored Links
What age is the wall?, if its say, 20 years old then the foundation are insufficient. Is there something leaning on the other side? - earth?. Bad drainage your side?
Tall structures (like chimney stacks) have a habit of leaning towards the South - Its to do with unequal expansion of one side due to the sun.
I have straightened up a 9' high Victorian wall with a 6" lean on the top, but then again 6" in 100 years, should be good for another 100 years!
Frank

It was next to a big tree, which i cut last week. Now i need to fix the wall. I am not sure how old it is, at least 30 years but possibly older. How did you manage to straighten the wall?

It was a 100' Victorian garden wall (LIME mortar) terminating in a 9' high pillar that was one side of an arch for a door. Over the years both pillars had developed a lean (towards the South) by about 9" and seemed to be dangerous, so they were taken down. When I did this, I saw that the pillar had dragged the last panel of the wall out of true. I have forgotten exactly how, but I strapped some 4" X 2" diagonally across the wall end and just hauled it back true. The pointing cracked on the inside of the bend and the corners of the bricks crushed a bit on the outside. I was very disappointed. However when the pillars were rebuilt and the wall repointed, it looked great.
So did the tree roots lift the edge of the foundations? - you don't say which side the tree and the lean is. If it was the tree, as the roots root, I would say that the wall will come upright - might take 30 years?
Frank

Sponsored Links
i am not sure if it is the tree. the wall leans towards the tree. I would say that my side of the wall has not been re-pointed for many years while the other side is re-pointed. so the wall is giving in towards my side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back