Learning electrics

thanks again

what does the LEVEL 2 cover roughly?
The British Education is split into levels which do not really seem to make sense at to what the course contains.
Level 2 is "O" level I think.
Level 3 is "A" level and is the limit of further education courses.
Level 5 is foundation degree or HND/HNC
Level 6 is honours degree

However the C&G 2382 is an exam to show you can read the book called 17th Edition or BS7671:2008 and that is classed level 3. You are allowed the book in the exam so no one should ever fail.

The C&G 2391 is also level 3 and the pass rate is about 40% and is really quite hard to pass well it does need knowledge of the subject and practical test to show you can do electrical inspection and testing.

The same applies to AS and A2 exams. Maths is very involved. Physics is far easier and Art is a complete doodle. Yet they all have same UKUS points and are rated the same.

Of course back ground makes a difference. My dad ran a power station, my father-in-law was an electrical Clark of works. Going further back the family started a ship yard in Jarrow so engineering was in the blood. My son is an electrician. My eldest went into Archaeology but married a guy studying electrical engineering in university. My youngest daughter went into IT.

It seems many engineers are dyslexic so good start if you suffer from that. But the Tesla's of the world are few and far between most of us just get by.

Sponsored Links
I have done plumbing electrics before and basics as mentioned - all these courses confuse me though! I have heard of Part P, 17th edition, C&G, NVQ etc!!! I am still not sure where to start!!!!!!!!

I want to learn domestic electrics/wiring really and fault finding - will C&G be a good start? I obviously don't work in the trade but can I still learn?

I think it would be best to visit your local college or training college.
They can guide you.

How old are you? could you go to the careers advice centre?

I'm 29. Even some basic books to help me learn until I go on a course would be good!!

Sponsored Links
Its hard at the moment for you as the course's are changing.
Last year I would have said start 2330 L2.

There is no point in doing that no, I'm 99% sure that the new qualification requires elements of work based inspections of work.
I also believe that its 100% theory as well.

This is the book that supports the 2330 L2 which you will find very handy.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Basic-Electrical-Installation-Work-Certificate/dp/0750687517

Don't take my exact word for it, there will still be routes.
Visit a college and speak with an advisor.
I just don't know how many hoops you will have to jump through.

It helps if you are also quite good at maths as the courses are quite math and calculation orientated.

Myy course started with 18 pupils. only 11 of us finished the course.

So no good me going on a course ?

What you need to do is talk to you local colleges or learning providers, they will inform you better of the route which is to be taken.
As far as I am aware there are no plans to replace 2330 level 2 in the near future and this will give you basic knowledge to start with, then I assume you progress to level 3 which very much looks like being the 2357.
Most college courses start in Sept, some in August.
So you have little time to do some research in to it.
You will find the courses will fill up quite quickly, so get your name down and you may also have to take a little test to prove your not a numpty!

ok fair enough!

another question - as an electrician for a job, are there electricians who go out and fix faults? other than running casble for new ring mains etc?

So no good me going on a course ?

What you need to do is talk to you local colleges or learning providers, they will inform you better of the route which is to be taken.
As far as I am aware there are no plans to replace 2330 level 2 in the near future and this will give you basic knowledge to start with, then I assume you progress to level 3 which very much looks like being the 2357.
Most college courses start in Sept, some in August.
So you have little time to do some research in to it.
You will find the courses will fill up quite quickly, so get your name down and you may also have to take a little test to prove your not a numpty!

I was told by the C&G themselves that the 2330 L2 and L3 is no longer going to be funded.

Taken from IET site:

At the end of February this year, the government published a list of "non-priority" courses. Amongst these courses were the 2330, both levels. This meant that colleges could no longer get funded for the 2330 as of September 2010 for anybody aged 19+. I know that it sometimes seems that you pay a lot for the courses, but bear in mind these are subsidised to the tune of about 50%.

This also means that colleges are facing national redundancies of approximately 7000 staff (Gov't keeping that quiet eh?).

Summit Skills (the body responsible for electrical qualifications, it has nothing to do with your college or the City & Guilds despite thoughts to the contrary) have stated that you can no longer become an electrician unless you are employed as one. The Government have also stated that they will not fund you even if you are employed as one whilst you are over the age of 18. The college would not have been aware of this when they enrolled you. I was at a C&G event last week and believe me, your anger is nothing on what the tutors are displaying (as they all stare redundancy in the face and watch the qualification decline yet again). The new C&G 2357 (in draft waiting for Summit Skills approval) can now only be delivered to 16-18 year olds on an apprenticeship or alternatively the "Knowledge" units can be delivered to those willing to pay full cost for them.

you'll find that fixing faults often does involve running new cables, so there's not really any getting away from that side of the work.

SB

The government will no longer be paying college to run this course.

Even as an adult learner the government normally cover 50% of the course fee paid directly to the college.

They are taking away the funding to colleges will not run the course anymore.

I was told by the C&G themselves that the 2330 L2 and L3 is no longer going to be funded.
Well I have missed that news, I was of the understanding that the level 2 course was not to be replaced.
But if you say thay have withdrawn funding, I will bow to your more informed knowledged.
But seems strange that they would withdraw the funding and not replace the course with a platform course to gain progression to 2357 level 3?

Maintenance electricians spend all of their time fault finding and repairing and often use computers plugged into the PLC to see what is wrong and is very different to the house electrician.

The most difficult house electricians work was wiring up and repairing central heating and there was a opening for people who could do both electric and plumbing what I said before was in way of joke some of the duel trade guys are very clever.

Since the combi boiler the problems with central heating and house wiring have reduced most now built into boiler.

Courses are changing all the time in 2002 when I did three courses one following the next it cost me £250 for all three now it costs £250 for just one so times 3 inflation. However there are some odd deals by taking 3 "A" levels it was £10 for 2 years but take one and £150 per year and one has to be careful with courses.

My son managed to change jobs and get the new employer to pay for his HND and it may be worth talking to firm you work for.

It seems firms are charged a levy unless they can show they do so much training so many are willing to send you for courses one would first think no way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back