Learning electrics

Sponsored Links
Its all up in the air.
When our C&G external verifier came to our college he explained that it would be hard for people to become an electrician without completing an apprenticeship.

The last reg date for the 2330 is Mar 2011, so the course will officially end in mar 2012.

You could start the L2 (provider permitting) now but it would not lead to much as there is no ongoing course to support it.
I will be one of the last batch doing the 2330 L3 and this is only achievable because I have finished L2.

I have done plumbing elecrtics with programmers/stats/motorised valves/pumps and boilers myself - so thatg could help me?

there's a lot of maths in the theory that your every day average house basher will probably never use such as vector sums and reactive and capacitive inductances and so on..

Or even inductive and capacitive reactances! :D

Sponsored Links
Sorry if this is a repeat chaps. I did a lot of Electrician's courses as part of my apprenticeship 20 years ago, but moved over to the Distribution side of things before being out of my time, But even though I got the qualifications etc etc, I never was what I term a proper electricin because I didnt have the housebashing/light industrial experience on the job so to speak.....So in my humble opinion experience should go hand in hand with qualifications......You just cant beat on the job experience if done correctly and by someone who does it correctly. I also did an HNC Electrical Engineering and although it didnt directly apply to my day to day work, it taught me the principles of electricity which has been a good foundation......

Doing a classroom course will give you qualifications however it will not make you able to install electrical installations and it will not teach you fault finding. If you do any install work you will b working in a cubicle mostly clipping twin and earth to plywood, there are not many real life circumstances where this will be acceptable. Fault finding will be done on a board and the faults will seem difficult to find although after doing real work in the real world you will look back at them as being simple. You need to do an apprenticeship and be keen as mustard to come out of education and be proficient to work alone.

There is so much more to learn than ring final circuits and radials, in fact you could search the forum for some of the debates on ring final circuits and radial circuits and see what you make of the opinions.

If you do any install work you will b working in a cubicle mostly clipping twin and earth to plywood, there are not many real life circumstances where this will be acceptable.
There's always GreekEnigma's Mum's caravan..... :LOL:

The, what was MANWEB training centre at Hoylake had booths with different materials on each. wood, brick and tiled and over them all was a floorboarded upper floor so we "learned" how to take floorboards up etc etc........we had to do many lighting/power circuits tests in our booths, but there never was a booth like roasting hot attics covered in loft insulation and dust as we saw on site LOL......the instructors used to inspect everything, and heaven help you , if got caught stripping T&E by pulling the earth wire down it.....But as 1JOHN says you learn best by doing the job out on site etc etc.....

thanks all for your help

how do you go about becoming an apprentice electrician?

Get enrolled at college and apply with firms. A good CV is essential, the amount I get that are poorly constructed, silly spelling mistakes with words spelled in a local accent and envelopes with the name and address written in the most unusual places. Follow up CV's with a polite phone call. It's tough times at the moment, I certainly wouldn't bother with an apprentice again but I dare say others would not have the same feelings as me.

100% agree with the CV. It could even be worth paying someone proffesional to create one for you.....A well presented CV will usually get read rather than bypassed/binned due to bad presenentation and SMS text langauage. Even send them to local tradesmen, Im not sure how it works today, but businesses get fundung to take on and train young people. Send one to your local DNO and find out who their contractors are and send one to them.

100% agree with the CV. It could even be worth paying someone proffesional to create one for you.....A well presented CV will usually get read rather than bypassed/binned due to bad presenentation and SMS text langauage. Even send them to local tradesmen, Im not sure how it works today, but businesses get fundung to take on and train young people.
My goodness, yes. :D

I'm sure that we all know some bloody good sparks who can't spell for toffee... but most of them know to consult a dictionary before writing anything important :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back