Learning to swim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A little bit :oops:
When I was a wee lad I learned swim but never did much since, recent holidays have proved it's not my best skill. Just splash about a bit and start to sink.
So yesterday my partner took me to the local pool and begun lessons.
Bl00dy hard work!

Sponsored Links
Ya big Jessie :LOL: :LOL:
Trouble is as you get older you get a fear.
First length is easiest then from there till about ten the muscles will ache try changing stroke each length till muscles get used to technique.
After around ten lengths it becomes fluid and it gets so much easier

When i was a kid the whole street went swimming on mass and there was never any kid who could not swim and at 7 year old we where even going of a 7 metre diving platform.
Both my kids could swim without any aids from 18 months old at that age they have not got any inbuilt fears

Keep it up prenticeboy and try and go several times a week to start with its amazing how quick it will come back

Because of the time table at the local pool and my work, I can only go Tuesday evenings and Sunday mornings, but I will keep going until I've cracked it.
The one thing in life I have never done is quit!
I used to go to the pool all the time when I was 8,9,10 and 11 and again in my mid teens.
Got a bronze badge when I was about eight, but to be honest I have never been an assured or a confident swimmer.
Time has found me out, as know I am hopeless at it.
I don't fear water or the challenge, improvement is just around the corner for this big Jessie :LOL:
They other thing is, with my missus teaching me, it gives us a little more time together and something a little different to the normal everday stuff to do.
The relationship between us has been a little strained over the last few years, but now seems to be improving.
So if nothing else, hopfully that will serve some good.

Sponsored Links
much easier to learn in salt water as you will float better so get more confidence.
I leave next to a canal, I've seen some floaters in there! :LOL:
I have this feeling I'm a sinker, but unfortunately the nearest sea is bl00dy freezing!

I'll pass on a bit of advice which none of my swimming teachers ever did. My apologies if you know it already.

They all tried to teach me the different strokes but I never stayed afloat long enough. :mad: :mad: :mad: My first width of the school pool was accomplished with a tremendous amount of splashing because I needed every bit of down-thrust I could muster.

Not one teacher pointed out something which, with hindsight, was bleeding obvious: When you breath out, you sink! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: The secret is to hold your breath most of the time, breathing only in very rapid bursts. I can now do passable dog paddle. :) :) :)

thanks fot the advice spacecat,
I've been told to learn the breaststroke first before going on to others.
I will try to hold my breath as long as possible, I think my Missus would prefer if I didn't breathe at all.

Do not hold your breath as long as possible that will make you tired and gasp for air and when you do that you will breathe in water and then choke panic etc,
You will not sink .On a good day i can do 50m under water at a depth of say 4 feet all the way i dont sink any further as forward momentum and natural buoyancy stops this

Controlled breathing is what you do ie front crawl when right arm is up and about to enter water breath to the left or vice versa
Breast stroke as a beginner every stroke as your arms are just about to pass your shoulders and your head is rising with the power breath then as you are clear of water dont worry if you take a little water in thats normal just spit it back out

And dont worry about all those kids that have pished in it :LOL: :LOL:

I concur with some of what Namsag says:

Don't hold your breath!
Suprisingly, if you concentrate on breathing out at the right time, then just open your mouth, at the right time, air will rush in!

So, a couple of points; Think of the power phase of your arms in breast stroke, (not the power phase of your legs!) as Namsag says, that is the time to breathe in, so make sure you've exhaled hard just before. Think of the way a whale exhales when it surfaces, almost like an explosive exhale, which also clears the droplets of water from around the mouth, then when you inhale there's much less water to contaminate the air that you're breathing in. Don't leave it too late! Experienced swimmers exhale into/under the water!

The phases of breast stroke are: Kick with your legs, (it's the inside of the feet/legs/ankles that do the work, like a Charlie Chaplin walk, but think of your two feet moving backwards at the same time. Practise sitting on a chair or sitting with just your feet in the water and feel the resistance.), glide (arms extended forward, hands together, legs extended backwards, feet together, face in the water if you're confident), pull with your arms (think of both outside edges of the hands scooping clean the inside of a pastry bowl, then presenting that 'scooped' amount to someone else.).
I don't agree with Namsag 'cos your arms should never come further back than your elbows. Elbows go high and hands come underneath them.
So it's kick, glide, pull. And the pull phase is when you breathe in. So blow out hard at the end of the glide phase.

There is a practise you could do to gain confidence which is a survival technique. It might take time to reach a certain level of ability to try this. Once mastered you'll never worry about water again.
You'll need to be confident about putting your face in the water and holding your breath, blowing out into the water then just lifting your face to breathe in and putting your face straight back in again.
You can easily practise this bit holding onto the side in the shallow water.

Literally float vertically in the water in a depth that you can stand up, but for the excercise just bend your legs up behind you. You could hold your ankles there with your hands;
When you breathe in you'll feel yourself rise slowly, blow out and feel yourself sink slowly. Floating vertically all the time. You won't sink much further than your forehead! It'll take minimal effort to raise yourself sufficiently to breathe. Just lift your face up.
Once you're confident with rising and falling with breathing go the whole survival technique;
Floating vertically in the water with your face in the water, blow out hard and before you've sunk further lift your face so that you can breathe in. You'll rise slightly again. Just float there whith your face in the water, holding your breath. When you want to breathe out, blow out hard, lift your face and breathe in again. You may need to lift your face so that you're looking at the ceiling!

I wouldn't reccomend anyone learning to swim in the sea, it's too rough, too cold and it tastes awful!

Used to go with primary school long long time ago and fell into deep end - thought was going to drown and never went near it for long time then factory my father worked in gave free swimming sessions to kids and I started with mate and taught myself - love it now but don't go as often as I should, born and raised 2 mile from the sea so everytime I go home usually have a dip in the atlantic (its cold)

Keep it up APOD

I will defer to the experienced swimmers. Also, rather than "hold your breath most of the time" I should have said "keep your lungs full most of the time".

RedHerring2 said:
Think of the way a whale exhales when it surfaces, almost like an explosive exhale

That's the way to do it. Get the old air out and the new air in quickly so you don't lose buoyancy.

You'll need to be confident about putting your face in the water and holding your breath, blowing out into the water then just lifting your face to breathe in and putting your face straight back in again.
You can easily practise this bit holding onto the side in the shallow water.

An excellent idea. :) :) :)

I'm not sure about starting with breast stroke. It's a complex stroke to learn and it doesn't seem to give much lift. I know that because I sink when I try it. Yes, with heavy bones and not much fat, I'm a natural sinker. :( :( :( I can remember some kids at school who could hover vertically in the water with their heads well clear. I never understood how they did it. :confused: :confused: :confused: The teacher gave us cork floats to practice with. I just took longer to sink. :cry: :cry: :cry:

If you've never tried to swim before, you're likely to panic and claw instinctively at the water, doing a crude and inefficient dog-paddle. Once you realize that you can actually stay on the surface - and get yourself back up there if you should go under - you can learn some proper strokes. :) :) :)

Sponsored Links
Back