Leave Tile Spacers in place or remove?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have seen/been told many conflicting views on this, whether when tiling a wall you push the spacers in flat against the wall and grout over, or remove them - I am wondering what the general consensus is here.

Apparently Grout isn't actually very waterproof at all, so does leaving the spacers in form a seal to stop water seaping from grout line to grout line?

I just removed the old tiles and the spacers were left in place, I'm tempted to do the same! Interested in your views!

Sponsored Links
if the spacers will sit back to the wall and wont show when grouted leave them in if they will show through the grout when u grout then remove them

if the spacers will sit back to the wall and wont show when grouted leave them in if they will show through the grout when u grout then remove them

I'm using 9mm wall tiles so they should sit flat without being visible!

I only use pegs- they are easier to pack out if you have a bow in the wall that requires tiny adjustments.

You are correct that grout is not 100% waterproof (unless epoxy), that said they will make little difference wrt water-proofness

Sponsored Links
I only use pegs- they are easier to pack out if you have a bow in the wall that requires tiny adjustments.

You are correct that grout is not 100% waterproof (unless epoxy), that said they will make little difference wrt water-proofness

Thanks guys, decided to remove them in the end as I can reuse them...being stingy :D Tiling is great fun, love it!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back