Led dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want a dimmer switch to control 8 x 4W GU10 bulbs. Some people seem to suggest I can use a regular dimmer switch but some say I need a special "led approved" dimmer.

I'm going nowhere near maximum wattages for these dimmers but I must exceed the minimum rating?

Bit confused

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Most "ordinary" dimmers are what's called leading edge (it's to do with the way they work) and LEDs generally need "trailing edge" dimmers. They also need a much lower minimum operating wattage (your 8 LEDs max at 32W, and allowing for a couple of failures you'll want the dimmer to keep operating down to 20W or less). So generally speaking an "ordinary" dimmer won't work with LEDs. Not all LEDs are dimmable, and to add to the complications not all dimmers for LEDs dim all LEDs.

PJ

Sponsored Links
What a mess... Can I sum up with:

I definitely have dimmable LED bulbs.

Most leading edge dimmers won't work but the link here is for some low wattage ones that will... Thanks

A trailing edge dimmer should also work.

I think I'm about to order a http://www.myswitchshop.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=974_1020_1023_1024 to match the ultraflat chrome like my other switches

Stop me if I'm wrong

The correct dimmer to order, assuming you have purchased decent quality dimmable LEDs..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back