LED Downlight faulty - Strobe effect

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I have five bathroom downlights. Four are working perfect, but one is faulty. After turning the light switch on, this faulty one is flashing/strobing really fast. It's like being in a nightclub.

I've already replaced the led bulbs, but it still does the same. I'm not very knowledgeable, but I think it might be a faulty transformer or something.

Below, I've attached pictures of what looks like a blue transformer, but I don't know what the other white part is.

Could anyone please kindly post a few links from ebay/amazon to help me find a replacement for these parts as I don't know what to order and want to make sure I get the right parts.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
The blue box converts mains voltage to 12v for the old type (halogen) lights.
If you read the box, it says 20-60VA. So you will have problems unless your LED lamps if more than 20VA (= watts in this case). So the blue box and the LED lamp are probably not compatible
So you need to change the blue box for what is known as a LED driver suitable for your lamp.

The question then is, how come the other 4 work OK. Maybe they have a different make of blue box? or maybe there are more than one lamp connected to the box, making the load big enough to avoid the problem.

What's the situation?

The blue box converts mains voltage to 12v for the old type (halogen) lights.
If you read the box, it says 20-60VA. So you will have problems unless your LED lamps if more than 20VA (= watts in this case). So the blue box and the LED lamp are probably not compatible
So you need to change the blue box for what is known as a LED driver suitable for your lamp.

The question then is, how come the other 4 work OK. Maybe they have a different make of blue box? or maybe there are more than one lamp connected to the box, making the load big enough to avoid the problem.

What's the situation?

I've double-checked another one and it's exactly the same as the first downlight transformer:-

Sponsored Links
Already replaced the led bulbs.

So shall I now try replacing the blue transformer?

Ahh sorry. So could you kindly show me what it looks like on ebay or amazon?

I never use or recommend either of those places!
Also it needs to be compatible with the Led bulb.
The manufacturer usually has a list of suitable drivers on their web site.

You haven't even said what the voltage is, but I'll assume 12v.

If you want to take a chance, Just Google "12v LED driver".

Sorry, but i'm not very familiar with downlights, so wasn't sure what information you would require.

Do I need to check the led bulb to find out the voltage?

Right thank you for that link flameport.

I'm surprised that the other led bulbs are working with the old halogen transformers. Will I need to change them all or just the faulty transformer?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back