LED downlighters in shower. Allowed/correct?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am currently doing some improvements to the bathroom in a house I am renting. My landlord has pretty much said "do what you want", but I wanted to check here that what I am proposing is allowed under the electrical regs.

I do know a bit about wiring but I'm not an electrician so I hoped one of you guys could put me straight.

Basically I have an enclosed shower cubicle which gets pretty dark inside, so what I want to do is put some 12 volt LED downlighters either in the ceiling itself above the shower, or build a false ceiling and put them in there.

I want to go low voltage for obvious reasons (it will be in a shower cubicle :D ).

What I am proposing is to install them and run them off a transformer wired into the existing light fitting in the center of the room. Obviously I will check that the capacity of the circuit will not be overloaded (it is currently on a 5A MCB) though as LED lights don't draw much power I doubt it will be.

The transformer will be up in the loft space and will be a meter or so from the actual lights themselves, so definitely not directly above the shower.

My main question is this: I know that electrical work in a bathroom is notifiable, but does this also apply if you're using low voltage fixtures which have no direct connection to the mains?

And is wiring the transformer into the lighting circuit something that I'm legally allowed to do myself? I know it'll just be a case of connecting it in between the current fitting and the next light on the circuit, but as I said I'm not particularly up on the legal stuff so I thought I'd better check.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
I know it'll just be a case of connecting it in between the current fitting and the next light on the circuit

Spot the deliberate mistake. :)

Of course, what I meant to say was that I'll be running the transformer in parallel with the existing fitting so it will work from the same switch.

Basically I have an enclosed shower cubicle which gets pretty dark inside, so what I want to do is put some 12 volt LED downlighters either in the ceiling itself above the shower, or build a false ceiling and put them in there.

I want to go low voltage for obvious reasons (it will be in a shower cubicle :D ).
You get low voltage for free - I think you are talking about extra low voltage. Being in a shower cubicle is neither here nor there - the lights must be fit for purpose and be properly protected against water ingress if appropriate.

What I am proposing is to install them and run them off a transformer wired into the existing light fitting in the center of the room. Obviously I will check that the capacity of the circuit will not be overloaded (it is currently on a 5A MCB)
Do they make 5Amp MCB
though as LED lights don't draw much power I doubt it will be.

They also don't give of much light.

The transformer will be up in the loft space and will be a meter or so from the actual lights themselves, so definitely not directly above the shower.
I think you will find that the transformer instructions will stipulate a maximum lead length to the light - some say 300mm some 450mm but a metre might be too long.

My main question is this: I know that electrical work in a bathroom is notifiable, but does this also apply if you're using low voltage fixtures which have no direct connection to the mains?

If there is no connection to mains how are you going to power the lights - use a battery?

And is wiring the transformer into the lighting circuit something that I'm legally allowed to do myself?
Yes as long as you follow the manufacturers instructions and of course inform you building control and pay their fee before you start.
I know it'll just be a case of connecting it in between the current fitting and the next light on the circuit, but as I said I'm not particularly up on the legal stuff so I thought I'd better check.
Never mind the legal stuff I think you need to do more research on what is electrically involved with your proposal.

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

Presumably, then, actually notifying the council of this and obtaining the go ahead would be an expensive and difficult process?

Guess I'll have to live with my pitch black shower cubicle then... :D

It can be expensive depending on which BC you come under £150 -£300 seems to be the range.

You could increase the wattage of the current lighting system if its in the same room and that may cost you £2.

Or you could employ an electrician which will probably cost somewhat less than the BC prices.

You get low voltage for free - I think you are talking about extra low voltage.

My mistake, I do mean ELV.

They also don't give of much light.

I mainly want them for "mood lighting" - just to brighten up the shower cubicle a bit. I did consider using 12v halogens but I know there are heat concerns with them.

I think you will find that the transformer instructions will stipulate a maximum lead length to the light - some say 300mm some 450mm but a metre might be too long.

I didn't know this, thanks - this could conceivably put a damper on my plans, but then again having the transformer right above the shower may not be such a problem.

If there is no connection to mains how are you going to power the lights - use a battery?

I meant no direct connection - the output side of the transformer is electrically isolated from mains power.

Do they make 5Amp MCB

Yes they do, I have them powering my lighting circuits :D

Never mind the legal stuff I think you need to do more research on what is electrically involved with your proposal.

Please see my second post - I know I will need to connect the transformer in parallel with the fitting.

Electrician may be cheaper than DIY then, thanks. I'll look further into it.

One thing I forgot to mention is that you will probably need to ensure that the extended circuit is protected by an RCD.

I did a similair thing in my bathroom, - I bought a 240V IP44 downlight fitting from screwfix for a tenner, and a 240V LED bulb for a few quid more, and drilled the mounting hole in the ceiling, I then got an electrician round to connect up, he did this and issued a certificate for about £35.

I did a similair thing in my bathroom, - I bought a 240V IP44 downlight fitting from screwfix for a tenner, and a 240V LED bulb for a few quid more, and drilled the mounting hole in the ceiling, I then got an electrician round to connect up, he did this and issued a certificate for about £35.

I thought you needed an inverter for LED bulbs?

He is not allowed to certify other peoples work unless he personally supervises each stage of the process.
Is the certificate issued against one of the competent persons shemes?
Have you received you BC notice certificate yet?

I thought you needed an inverter for LED bulbs?

He is not allowed to certify other peoples work unless he personally supervises each stage of the process.
Is the certificate issued against one of the competent persons shemes?
Have you received you BC notice certificate yet?

No, there's no inverter in use, - just a 240V GZ10 LED lamp.

The only work I did was to supply the fitting, and measure and drill the hole in the ceiling - the electrician seemed happy with this, and it was him who actually put the fitting in the hole and connected up to the circuit.

Thinking about it, he thought he would have to change something in the CU as well (add an RCBO?), but when he checked, the circuit was adequately protected, so this wasn't necessary.

The certificate I recieved came through the post a few weeks after the work was done, - it was issued by NICEIC, and posted directly from them - I haven't recieved anything from BC, - should I have done?

To the **** who gave riveralt's post a negative vote - would you please explain which of the following points or questions were incorrect or unacceptable?
  • You get low voltage for free - I think you are talking about extra low voltage. Being in a shower cubicle is neither here nor there - the lights must be fit for purpose and be properly protected against water ingress if appropriate.
  • Do they make 5Amp MCB
  • They also don't give of much light.
  • I think you will find that the transformer instructions will stipulate a maximum lead length to the light - some say 300mm some 450mm but a metre might be too long.
  • If there is no connection to mains how are you going to power the lights - use a battery?
  • Yes as long as you follow the manufacturers instructions and of course inform you building control and pay their fee before you start.
  • Never mind the legal stuff I think you need to do more research on what is electrically involved with your proposal.
Please make your explanations intelligent, mature, rational and logical.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back