LED downlighters in shower. Allowed/correct?

The only work I did was to supply the fitting, and measure and drill the hole in the ceiling - the electrician seemed happy with this, and it was him who actually put the fitting in the hole and connected up to the circuit.
Now you have explained it a bit more, yours and his actions are perfectly correct.

Thinking about it, he thought he would have to change something in the CU as well (add an RCBO?), but when he checked, the circuit was adequately protected, so this wasn't necessary.
You must already have an RCD protecting your lighting circuit.

The certificate I recieved came through the post a few weeks after the work was done, - it was issued by NICEIC, and posted directly from them - I haven't recieved anything from BC, - should I have done?
No that is the correct certificate - not sure what the wording for NICEIC is but they will have informed BC and the certificate is to confirm that the work complies with the Building Regulations and should be kept in a safe place. On some local authority BC websites you can type in your house address and it will state what Building Notices have been completed relating to your address.

Sponsored Links
What a surprise - the pathetic little **** doesn't like being asked to explain himself.

To the **** who gave riveralt's post a negative vote - would you please explain which of the following points or questions were incorrect or unacceptable?

Just for the record, this wasn't me - I thank you all for the advice which has been very helpful.

I'll see how the landlord likes the idea of getting a spark in to do the wiring up, shouldn't cost much as we know a tame electrician who is a pretty cool guy. Might work out OK if I do the work of drilling the holes etc and the electrician actually fits the lights (though I think there may be other building regs issues involved - namely with preventing water ingress into the loft etc?)

Thanks for the help everyone.

While I'm here, I do have another small question. At the moment the bathroom has a pull-cord operated fan heater mounted on the wall which I am thinking of replacing with a infrared radiant type instead (something relatively low powered that we can leave on and won't make any noise, as the bathroom isn't heated otherwise). Can I legally do this? It is connected to a fused spur so as far as I know should just be a matter of disconnecting the old one from the spur and connecting the new one.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
(though I think there may be other building regs issues involved - namely with preventing water ingress into the loft etc?)
Yes - you need a sealed enclosure over the lights to stop warm moist air getting into a cold loft where it will condense and cause rot, and you need to reinstate the insulation over the whole shebang.

something relatively low powered that we can leave on and won't make any noise, as the bathroom isn't heated otherwise
No point - those types of heaters don't warm the air - you can leave it on and go in there later and it won't feel any warmer. You'd be better off with an electric towel rail/panel heater/oil-filled rad etc, but remember that all electric heating is expensive to run - a small 500W heater left on all the time will clock up £9-10/week....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back