LED flicker

FOR THE TWELTH TIME SMPS designed for halogen lights are NOT suitable for LEDs. They may appear to work but will damage and shorten the life of the LED lamp. LED lamps are quoted as requiring 50/60 Hz not tens of KHz.

The Varilight one is fine. It doesn't have an AC output at tens of kHz...

Sponsored Links
So what frequency is the output? There is nothing to say in the link and it looks far to small to have a 50Hz output at 50 watts.

This: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLT50slash1.html? I linked to earlier is cheaper and definitely 50Hz output so why risk something not known.

The output is 50Hz. Having taken one apart, the switcher frequency is 250kHz and has LC filtering on the output so no 250kHz component is present up to it's maximum load.

The output is 50Hz. Having taken one apart, the switcher frequency is 250kHz and has LC filtering on the output so no 250kHz component is present up to it's maximum load.

Interesting. I will get one and investigate myself.

Sponsored Links
So, is there a consensus that hz matters for LEDs? I would have thought that all would have been 50hz anyhow.

So, is there a consensus that hz matters for LEDs?

Some LED drivers may require that the supply to them is AC at 50 Hz to ensure the driver operates correctly. They may use a capacitor to limit current drawn from the supply and this would require AC to be able to pass any current and the amount of current would increase as the frequency increased.

Other LED drivers may work well with either an AC or DC supply of the correct voltage and, if AC, a frequency higher than 50 Hz but not much higher ( 100 Hz maybe ).

Winston it is £6 more expensive. The Varilite is £11 to TLCs £17. aptsys, it seems to fit the bill at 50w max and no minimum watts, readily available and cheap enough. I have found Varilite stuff decent quality in the past.

I made a mistake. sorry.

So, is there a consensus that hz matters for LEDs? I would have thought that all would have been 50hz anyhow.

I would have thought that the fact the manufacturers state DC or 50/60 Hz AC would answer that question.

Well I've got hold of one of the Varilite SMPSs. On connecting it up and looking at the no load output with a scope it looks like 50Hz. But winding the timebase up shows that there is plenty of approx 300kHz modulated at 50Hz. In fact just like any other SMPT except this one shows it at no load.

I put a small load on it a 2.2W lamp and it worked OK. Likewise with a 35 watt lamp. Turned it off and went to find a GU10 size LED. Connected it up, nothing. Further investigation with the scope showed the SMPT had died, there only being a few very small spikes on the output.

So, not impressed with reliability. It will go back tomorrow. Watch this space.

Was it pure 50 Hz sine as in the upper trace or pseudo sine ( half cycles filled with the 300kHz ) as in the lower trace. ( Traces are replicated images )

sine or pseudo.jpg

Was it pure 50 Hz sine as in the upper trace or pseudo sine ( half cycles filled with the 300kHz ) as in the lower trace. ( Traces are replicated images )

View attachment 118507

Mine looked like the top trace, and obviously the bottom one before the filter. Not sure what winston did to break his though - they've been very reliable in the units I've observed.

So the next question which is the base line on the oscilloscope when viewing the wave form. Zero volts is the equivalent of the Neutral

pesudo sine base line.jpg

For a 12 volt output use +12 -12 and 0 +24

Often the DC offset pseudo AC does not reach 0 volts always being at least a volt or two above zero. That this pseudo AC never has a zero value can "confuse" switch mode devices that are expecting to be supplied with AC that has 100 zero crossing points per second at 50 Hz and not pseudo AC which may not have any zero crossing points.

Last edited:
The output is isolated from the mains. The output waveform is a 12VAC sinewave, how it looks depends what you measure with respect to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back