LED Security Light Suggestions Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have one of these lights at the back of the house and am now looking at changing to an LED version BUT without the PIR - I will be fitting a separate PIR that I need to connect via a relay to the SELV garden lighting. The idea being that if the garden lights are on then the flood light does not operate, and vice-versa.

I need the lamp head to be rotated to cover the patio rather than shine down the garden. Any ideas on a suitable alternative?

1661934363352.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I noted walking through Coed Dinas (Charlies) the local garden centre there are lights which do shine in two directions, however looking on their web site I could not find them.

Some times only way to find what you want is to visit the garden centres. And where there is a chain like with Charlies 1661998242187.png the full range may only be at the larger stores, my local store even sells tractors, but most are little outlets more like a B&Q.

If I walk into my local electrical whole sale outlet, I will be offered a chair and a range of catalogues, the problem is they rarely show the price, so often the likes of the Range, and B&Q are better options as you can see the price, and what it really looks like.

I need the lamp head to be rotated to cover the patio rather than shine down the garden. Any ideas on a suitable alternative?

Lidl regularly offer on the centre isle a 20w LED, for less than £20. It does include a PIR, with settings for sensitivity, light level and on time - but you could defeat these with adjustment, to have it operate from your own separate PIR. It's a flat panel, looking rather like an Ipad, on an adjustable bracket.

I primarily bought and installed one to light up the area of where my wheelie bins are stored, but it proved to be bright enough to provide some light to much of my large garden. Far more light than I had anticipated from a 20w LED.

Go on lyco ….they do an led light you can tilt and swivel , I’ve had a few and they have been spot on ….no failures…

Sponsored Links
I primarily bought and installed one to light up the area of where my wheelie bins are stored, but it proved to be bright enough to provide some light to much of my large garden. Far more light than I had anticipated from a 20w LED.
I can believe that. 20W is a fair bit for an LED - I think the largest I have inside my house are 12W (possibly still one or two 15W, but I think I 'downgraded' them to12W because they were really too bright, even for the sole light, in a small room).

Kind Regards, John

I can believe that. 20W is a fair bit for an LED - I think the largest I have inside my house are 12W (possibly still one or two 15W, but I think I 'downgraded' them to12W because they were really too bright, even for the sole light, in a small room).

Lighting indoors to outdoors is very different. Outdoors colours are often darker and fewer surfaces to reflect leight. I already had a dusk till 11pm 8w LED lantern illuminating my drive, just to provide a tiny glimmer of light out there. The 20w just about makes it to my rear boundary, sufficiently to be able to find it.

The largest indoor LED I have is a perfectly adequate 8w, some areas only have a 2.5w.

Go on lyco ….they do an led light you can tilt and swivel , I’ve had a few and they have been spot on ….no failures…
Thanks for the suggestion! I knew a spark would have the answer.

I expect the 10W version would be adequate for my needs as it will be replacing a 120W halogen

Last edited:
Lighting indoors to outdoors is very different. Outdoors colours are often darker and fewer surfaces to reflect leight.
Sure. I just mentioned indoor ones to give some sort of 'context'.
I already had a dusk till 11pm 8w LED lantern illuminating my drive, just to provide a tiny glimmer of light out there. The 20w just about makes it to my rear boundary, sufficiently to be able to find it.
I have number of 15W PAR38 LEDs in my (large) garden (replacing what were originally 120W incandescents). Each one provides a usable amount of illumination (enough to 'see what is going on') for 25-30 metres or so.
The largest indoor LED I have is a perfectly adequate 8w, some areas only have a 2.5w.
Similar here - most 2W - 8W with, as I said, I think the largest being 12W.

Kind Regards, John

1707066058983.png

I bought a 10W version (eventually) back in November but only just around to start fitting today. I found the terminal screws impossible to undo with whatever scredriver I have tried. Have you had any problems with these?

I have contacted Lyco for help in the meantime

View attachment 331872

I bought a 10W version (eventually) back in November but only just around to start fitting today. I found the terminal screws impossible to undo with whatever scredriver I have tried. Have you had any problems with these?

I have contacted Lyco for help in the meantime
You don’t try differing screwdrivers only the correct one will do,

Nope …they have all been fine that I’ve fitted
Ok that's good to know. Just me!

You don’t try differing screwdrivers only the correct one will do,
They are those that are neither one nor the the other - part slotted, part Philips. I have tried terminal drivers and a variety of othe slotted drivers abut they do not seem to want to budge and I don't want to damage the heads. I have never had an issue with any terminal before this

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back