Let's NOT give £350m extra each week to the NHS! A better idea....

What happened to Tomorrow's World's life of leisure, or twenty hour working weeks, when all these robots do the work?

Sponsored Links
What happened to Tomorrow's World's life of leisure, or twenty hour working weeks, when all these robots do the work?

Few hundred years. I think desk jobs are the most at risk. I think jobs in money handling (accountants/solicitors/finance sector etc) will disappear the soonest.

It's not just human input, it's access to information. I've always felt that a solicitor, for example, is counting on the fact you don't know how little there really is to know about it, but that's changed because it's very easy now to find that information online.. if someone wants to learn about something.. I mean nowadays you can really DIY your own property convenance or do a probate for someone.. forums like this one have the answers,.. if you have access to search engines... they have the answers. So why would you employ someone at many thousands of pounds.. these sectors account for millions and millions of jobs though, eventually they will be rendered obselete.

I think the jobs that will be around the longest are technical jobs in science, technology (renewable energies), builders + tradesman (going to be a long time before a robot can literally build a house or plumb a toilet)... thing is though technological advances leave nothing untouched. Look at push fit plumbing in the last 10-15 years.. as a homeowner you can effectively plumb your own pipework from start to finish.. fantastic way of saving money but the plumber loses 3 out of the 5 grand he was going to get for the whole job because you did it yourself. Same with running the cables. All of these jobs originally had a higher economic value but not now.. the value is slowly diminishing and as I said jobs in money handling are diminishing the fastest.

Streamlining and standardisation (3d printing) will mean you can make yourself in your own home parts that are needed for an item which you may otherwise have binned because it was cheaper to buy a new one (waching machines/dishwashers/fridges.. so effectively each home will become it's own mini-manufacturing basis.. turning over the materials instead of purchasing new. The same with food/agriculture.. we will see food grown hydroponically within buildings (at source) - no more importing food from abroad and the environmental cost that comes with it.

See the whole system is gradually slowing down.. growth is an illusion... we are just buying time at the moment. Eventually there will be a radical shift, whether in our lifetimes or our childrens.

That's not really the same.

It was always prophesied that if/when robots would do half the jobs then people could share the remaining jobs and work half a week each.
Of course the employers did not want to share the reduced costs with the workers so just sacked half of them.

Even worse, nowadays both husband and wife likely go out to work and may even be working more hours to earn enough.

That's not really the same.

It was always prophesied that if/when robots would do half the jobs then people could share the remaining jobs and work half a week each.
Of course the employers did not want to share the reduced costs with the workers so just sacked half of them.

Even worse, nowadays both husband and wife likely go out to work and may even be working more hours to earn enough.

And that's the point it becomes those that own the machines versus those that don't.. and as a species we'll have to address that one first.

I've never bought into the fact that greed is part of human nature, I think that's a crock of sh1t, it's a manipulative lie that the rule makers of the system like to perpetuate to justify the inequality that ensues from a system that is built on perpetual disadvantage.

Sponsored Links
I've never bought into the fact that greed is part of human nature
Never been near a young child then? Kids show greed on a daily basis and they've yet to learn to share or know it's wrong to be too greedy. I think greed is very much part of human nature.

And yes, that last piece of cake is mine, bugger off. :)

I've never bought into the fact that greed is part of human nature

Yes its a "fact" we are all greedy. You, me,,, everyone on here and is the main cause of wars in the world.

Last edited:
Never been near a young child then? Kids show greed on a daily basis and they've yet to learn to share or know it's wrong to be too greedy. I think greed is very much part of human nature.

And yes, that last piece of cake is mine, bugger off. :)

What we have is a system that supports greed on a frankly neurotic level. This has nothing to do with how a child learns to share.

What we have is a system that supports greed on a frankly neurotic level. This has nothing to do with how a child learns to share.
I think it is a human trait because I've seen very young kids display it before they can even walk or talk properly. But yes, we do also encourage greed for material things but I wonder why advertising and keeping up with the Jones's works so well? Is it because we have an underlining greedy trait? Or is it what made us survive when we were all wild and uncultured? Bit like wanting high fat foods, even tho we know it's bad for us because thousands of years ago it stopped us starving to death.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is a human trait because I've seen very young kids display it before they can even walk or talk properly. But yes, we do also encourage greed for material things but I wonder why advertising and keeping up with the Jones's works so well? Is it because we have an underlining greedy trait? Or is it what made us survive when we were all wild and uncultured? Bit like wanting high fat foods, even tho we know it's bad for us because thousands of years ago it stopped us starving to death.

You think it's a human trait because that's what you've been conditioned into thinking. Children learn boundaries and they are naturally inquisitive, touching and feeling the world around them to learn, this isn't greed. Greed is a societal manifestation which you've been conditioned into accepting and that which you've mistakenly confused being the the motiviation of the child. Early humans were actually egalitarian by approach, they lived in large groups sharing resources because mutual cooperation worked better for everyone and led to a higher chance of survival. It was only when populations grew exponentially that wars over land and resources became more prevelant. So no it's not human nature so much as it has been a fundamental and natural progression through the ages.. it's only because we live in a world of finite resources for the past few hundred thousand years that we had to and still live with rules primarily centering around self maximisation (essentially selfishness). Technology brings abunduance, the point being that there will no longer be a requirement for war and material acquisition because it will be available through machines, abundtly. We won't be living in a world like we are now. I suggest you read up on the Zeitgeist Movement.

Sponsored Links
Back