Level my kitchens joists/floor

3owenspl,

As above, stop now and call in a general contractor - give them a heads up that its a jacking/dropped floor issue.
Are you in a seismic state?
What your basic problem is might be pretty simple but you are attempting to jack joists with gas, soil pipes & various plumbing water pipes clipped to the underside.
What kitchen floor covering do you have - ceramic tile or laminate etc?

Did your 2" x 8" joists previously meet your 2" x 10" joists over a stud wall thats been removed in recent basement building work?

FWIW:
the water heater vent is on a very long almost flat run (1/4" per ft horizontal rise is Code) and might give condensation problems in time - the Code is: horizontal runs should not be more than 75% of developed length eg. a 16ft horizontal run requires 21.5ft of vertical rise to terminal.
Furnaces with induced fans manage long runs a bit better.

Doggit:
"In the UK, we have a plate going around the wall that the first floor joists sit on" - what do you mean?
Further for what its worth: I have jacked up endless joists and floors in the UK.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sorry Vinn, you're right, I was tired and thinking of the ground floor. The first floors bedded into the brickwork- Duh, well spotted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back