Level of detail for building reg drawings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, after some advice if I may. I’m a bit naive when it comes to this.

Had an architect draw up some plans for a simple single story lean-to extension which was approved and now moving on to “detailed drawings” which as I understand are what will be used for building control and presumably construction.

I mentioned to the architect that we’d like certain design elements included such as “flush threshold” on some sliding/folding doors - and she said that those details can be decided on later when it comes to build. Does that sound right, I’d have assumed the “detailed drawings” would include details such as that? Or should I stop overthinking it and let them do their job?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
No that all needs to be on the drawings, besides how does the builder know to price for some bifolds if the drawing doesn't show bifolds for example. Are you paying for 'building regs' drawings or 'construction' drawings? If you're using the drawings to get builders to quote from they need to show everything that needs to be built otherwise the builder will tell you if it wasn't on the drawings it'll be extra.

stop overthinking it and let them do their job?
It seems that they are not actually doing their job.

All the details should be on the plans for building regulations approval, and for pricing off and then building to.

The only things for a later decision are normally kitchen and bathroom suites.

Nonsense. BC want to see how much insulation is in the walls and the rise and going of the stair. They're not remotely interested in the threshold detail, except in so far as it affects level access, where relevant.

Sponsored Links
Nonsense. BC want to see how much insulation is in the walls and the rise and going of the stair. They're not remotely interested in the threshold detail, except in so far as it affects level access, where relevant.
Which nonsense post is this post actually replying to?

Since the vast majority of extensions are built by a builder using b/regs drawings....if anything is not on the drawing you want.....the builder wont price for it or build it

what your architect is saying is he quoted to draw plans to get through building regs -not to do a working drawing for the builder: which I think is where the difference of opinion from the professionals here

When a client instructs someone to draw plans, unless he explicitly instructs otherwise, the plans are to get planning permission, get building regs approval, get prices for the building work, used to build the thing. All this is express or implicit.

And the expectation is that the builder builds in accordance to the approved and quoted drawings (they form part of the client/builder contract), and the builder should not add to or amend the design - or need to.

Part C :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back