Life just seems to get better!!!! - Heat exchanger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just thought I should mention that I didn't get chance to look at my boiler last night (to check the voltage re pcb or solenoid dilemma) - Re Potterton Prima intermittent fault problem posted yesterday. I'm pretty sure that it's the PCB though - was working fine yesterday..

I had an emergency call from my tenant yesterday at about 5.15pm saying that there was water everywhere downstairs kitchen, dining room and living room. Guess where it was coming from - the boiler!!!! We know what that means and I can happily confirm that the heat exchanger has gone fut.

I spent last night with them (they are good friends) mopping up and vaxing. Twas a night to remember.

Any ideas to locate a heat exchanger - its a Potterton MF Kingfisher (I know Ouch) Best I came up with was £363 + VAT online last night. - The only one I could find. Before anyone says replace the boiler, its had a fan, PCB, gas valve plus minor odds all in the last 6 months and the things only been in just over four years. Theres also the thought of re sighting costs and make do the recently fitted kitchen (last August)!!! Not really an option as the boiler will almost be a new machine now.

Before anyone says, its my only rental property. It was my brother's house before he died (26). It still has a full mortgage on it as all proceeds of his life policy went to his first girlfriend who disappeared leaving him with debt then magically reappeared when he died - kerching. Never seen her since the funeral. It did go legal and we (my parents and I were urinating in the wind legally). In the end she agreed to give us the house and mortgage and she kept the money. It was a result as she could have had the lot. Thats for the record.

Still I'm happy as I have a new born baby girl. :)

Regards

Lee

Sponsored Links
Can you tell us the exact model of Kingfisher, eg 60CF, 60RS etc etc?

The main question you should be asking is why it has gone after only 4 years.

Sounds like a dodgy install and will need power flushing after new one has been fitted.

Hi

Been round there tonight to pick up the vax machine - carpets seem ok.

The boiler is a 60CF. The exchanger is a big old lump on a floor mounted boiler = expensive.

I don't recall the system being flushed when it was installed - I'm sorry but I can't confirm this with my brother. Too much crud probably.

Been and bathed my daughter though :D

Lee

Cant do much better than the price you've found. £359 + VAT delivered to your door.

Sponsored Links
Hi Dave

Just been on ebay and someone is selling an unused 60RS.

According to gasbits.com, it has the same heat exchanger. parts? replacement boiler? spares..?

Just an idea and not too unreasonable distance for pick up - 60 miles.

Its sitting at a £100 bid at the mo.

Probably too much messing about all said and done as I think some items sold on ebay would be a bit of a leap of faith - this one included. Shame really.

The theory's great, but I'm not 100% happy with what's being sold and by whom.

I nearly bought a Pcb for my Prima (would have saved £40-£50) but I just wouldn't trust it. Looking at some of the seller's some boards might be doing the rounds - maybe I'm just too cynical. In the end ordered from supaspares - £77 plus VAT.

Lee

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back