Life of Combi boiler.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How long can one expect a combi boiler to last, provided it is serviced annually. I have Vaillant 828e and no problems. Only had to change few parts. BGas wants me to upgrade it to condensing type at a cost of £1800.

Is it worth it or should i stick with my old one.

Sponsored Links
Boilers made about 10 years ago were still being made to at. Present lot will self destruct much sooner

Start looking for a heating engineer. Money you are paying out to service provider- put that in a tin and save it for a rainy day. If you do not believe me, sit down with paper and pen and calculate what you have already paid out

One thing is a certainty. Boiler will need a proper service moment ou switch ;)

10 years @ £240/year Homecare cover = £2400
or
10 years of servicing @ £50/year = £500, lets add another £500 for a generous amount of repairs during that time and you're still £1400 up.

Going with any boiler insurance is madness, using them to install a new boiler is even greater lunacy. Don't forget BG only give a one year warranty on their boilers, use an independent and you can expect 5 years as a minimum, 7 seems to be the norm, and it's not unheard of to get 10 years. I would expect a combi to last at least 10 years, if it's been installed with care 15 at least.

Sponsored Links
there will be a saving in gas with a more modern boiler, but not enough to justify the change before the old one becomes beyond repair or in some way unsuitable for your needs.

lol2.gif

The life span of a combi depends on how clean the system is and what the make and model is.

Every six years I repair a diverter valve on an Ideal Sprint for someone who is a little mean. The boiler is about 18 years and all she says is that she will just call me every six years to repair the diverter!

Tony

Those on the Worcester list of approved installers with their fleeces and target numbers of their boilers to install will do anything to promulgate the brand!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back