Life on the line...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, been searching net today for some help and come across this great site. Please can anyone help me...

My boiler broke down on Tuesday, i called my insurance company i have policy with and they gave me repair agent details. he was not able to come out until Thursday on all day appointment. I have 2 young children, one being very young so need h/w and heat,

i have not immersion or alternative heat so was desperate. i asked insurance if could pay and claim with own choice, they said yes. Engineer came out on Wednesday but condemned my boiler. he stated that in his opinion, the boiler had not been serviced correctly for numerous years leading to build up of soot in boiler, build up so much that heat had no where to go, so contained in boiler casing (scorch marks on wall where boiler hung to prove!) and it has caused the heat exchanger to pop and leak, so i have water leaking and has been for some time on gas burners! He could not allow me to have boiler back on.

Fair enough! Now my insurance policy covers me for ann service which has been 'apparently' done by the suggested repair agent of my insurance, however on occasions they have told me that they cannot access boiler (in airing cupboard) to service correctly so have left and come back a week later to do, and for all i know they have serviced it correctly? Now i am paying for a new boiler to another company who quoted me this morning as i am desperate for heat and h/w for my children.

where do i stand in terms of holding this company responsible for putting the safety of my family in danger with inadequate service of my boiler?

Incidentally, my insurance wont pay anywhere near the cost of a new boiler, but seeing as its their fault i want them to pay?

Any thoughts... please help...

Thanks

Sponsored Links
read the small print.

For example an BG service contract does not include a service but an safety check.

I haven't seen the BG ad but I gather it says that 7000 homes are at risk from carbon monoxide, what they don't say is 6999 are BG customers with an service contract. :rolleyes:

Feel for you on this one, a few weeks ago I had a brand spanking out of the box boiler fitted on a Friday, out of the box it did not work as had a fault, service guys from the manufacturers could not get to me till Tuesday and as it was new I was stuck with that, turned out to be the coldest weekend of this year, bloody nightmare......

But, and this backs up my thoughts on why I would never have a combi as I could still have hot water via the immersion.

Hope you get it sorted in your favour.....

Sponsored Links
If it doesn't work out of the box or shows signs of damage it goes straight back to merchant as "not fit for purpose". They want my business and I want quality goods.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back