lifting a Radiator off and on a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all im looking for a jack/lift type tool that would enable me to take off a Radiator on my own any help would be great

many thanks

Sponsored Links
You could use a trolley jack, (with jack pad) positioned exactly in the middle......or summon a mate along!
John :)

didt think about a trolley jack but the problem with that is i also need to be able to move it out the way as well. i do get a mate along when i can but its very hard to get him out to mine whin i need him

Sponsored Links
Lay a sheet of ply down and the trolley jack should roll well enough on that...at least you should be able to transport the rad out of the way!
I guess its one of the larger radiators!

I used to do large double rads on my own and found the best way of doing them was to tie a piece of webbing round the end of the rads then put the webbing across your shoulders, get the "slack" right and as you stand up the rad comes with you, you can walk the rad away from where your working, this is easier to do than describe ;)

Lay a sheet of ply down and the trolley jack should roll well enough on that...at least you should be able to transport the rad out of the way!
I guess its one of the larger radiators!

yep just under 6ft long

With picasso on this. You can get the webbing from your plumbing supplier - copper is often delivered on webbing slings which say "one use only" on them. It's like car seat belt .
You can also carry a six foot rad upstairs quite easily like that.

On slightly different note whats the biggest rad people have done in domestic property.

Biggest rad i ever took out was a 12 foot long by 2 foot 6inch high double and full of water , upstairs flat with a wimp of an apprentice . Thought no way am i risking him dropping it on me as we went down the stairs so out it went out of the first floor window onto grass below. Then dug it out.

Biggest i can comfortably carry and lift now on my own is 1600 by 600 k2 and at a struggle an 1800 quite funny watching youngster who spend hours in the gym trying to lift an awkward shaped weight before giving up.

Did a 1800x450 P+ last week.

Hardest part is getting it hanging on brackets when yur on your own.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back