Light Fitting Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I am fitting 2 new lights in the lounge and have turned off the downstairs and upstairs lights from the central supply. Everytime I put the bulbs into the light the whole house trips out - including sockets.

If anyone has any advice that would be great

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Have you re-wired one or two ceiling roses?

If so, see the help section for the correct method.

Very common mistake for electrical DIYers is not realising that one of the neutrals is normally 'tagged' [red tape] as a live within the rose connections.

I've probably not explained that very well but the HELP section or someone who is an expert on here will.

I am a DIYer and found that the book I bought on electrics aeons ago was invaluable. Hence the idea that it may be a mis-wired rose.

I know what I mean !!!!!

I have wired 2 ceiling roses. I'll go and have a look in the HELP section.

Thanks mate

hi,
cant seem to find the answer in the help section can anyone give me instructions

thanks

Sponsored Links
thanks - apologies but from diagram i cant work out what colour wire from the ceiling i should connect the blue wire from the light to.
i have in each light a blue, brown and earth wire and i can connect those to a black, red and copper wire from the ceiling rose. one ceiling rose has green and yellow around one of the copper wires the other ceiling rose has just a copper wire.
if you could, could you just write it out for me in simple instructions

apologies and thanks for your help

I cant decide from your messages whether you have actually done anything with the ceiling rose's are are just trying to change the light fitting.

If its the latter, the brown wire is live and should go to red.

The blue is neutral and should go to black

The yellow and green wire should go to the copper or sleeved copper wire. The copper wires in your ceiling roses should also be sleeved with yellow and green sleeving.

Please note, if you are changing lights to metal fittings you should be testing with suitable equipment that the earth loop impedence would create a high enough fault current to trip your protective device in the case of a fault.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back