light switch change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just wondering if anyone can help. Im changing an old 2 switch light socket in room for a new one but cant get both lights to work. There are 2 grey cables each with a red, earth and black wire in. I have tried RED to COM, BLACK to L1 - only 1 light then works. RED to COM, both BLACKS in same L1 - 1 light works. I have used a loop wire as well but light then doesnt switch off. Please can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
Was there a link wire in the old one? I take it you are changing it for another 2 gang switch?

This is two switches on one plate I assume and no other switches control the lights concerned. And assuming it is a normal wiring set up

If so there will be two commons (one for each switch) and two L1s ( one for each switch .

The reds go to commons and the blacks to the L1s.

Sponsored Links
I tried RED to COM, BLACK to L1 with both cables, didnt work. I have now wired : CABLE 1 RED to COM BLACK to L1
CABLE 2 RED to L1 BLACK taped off
and linked the two COMs together with RED link wire. Does this sound ok, it makes both lights work but is it safe?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back