Light switch disconnection and removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I need to disconnect and remove one of two 2 way switches and only have the use of one 1 way switch to control a light fitting in my kitchen. I intend removing the box and plastering the wall up. Which connections do I have to remove from the redundant switch and the light fitting. What do I do with the spare wire in the remaining switch?
Thanks,
Graham :confused:

Sponsored Links
how many cables going to the switch you wish to plaster up?

Hi,
There is a black wire in the top, a red in the centre and another red in the bottom. The middle red is live, the black is live and dead depending on the switch position, the bottom red is dead at the moment. Does the bottom become live if the second switch position is altered?
Graham

whats in the switch that is staying?

this is how it should be wired, although colours may be different

2way-switching.gif

Sponsored Links
There are 2 red wires in the top 2 terminals and a black wire in the bottom terminal of the switch that is staying. Unfortunately none of the wires has a red tag / tape identification in either switch.

When I switch the light on with the switch I want to remove, the middle red and the black become live on the switch I want to keep. When I switch off the switch I want to keep, the black wire stays live and both reds are dead.

If I switch the light on with the switch I want to keep, then the middle red and the black (top) are live in the switch I want to remove, if I switch off the light with the switch I want to remove then the middle and bottom reds are live and the black is dead, this causes the top red in the switch I want to keep to be the only live.

I hope you understand my ham fisted descriptions!!
Graham

so there are only 3 wires in each switch?

from your description it seems that the live goes to the siwthc you wan't to keep first then on to the other switch along 2 cores then back to the light

do you see 2 earths in each box (you really should with this setup)

do the wires have outer sheathing?
if do the wires from the boxes go into conduit in the wall (single wires in conduit are allowed but rearely used in domestic installs)

are the cables rubber or plastic or lead sheathed paper? (rubber is bad lead sheathed paper is older still)

From what I can gather, it seems you have an old method of wiring two way switches where the 'live feed' goes one switch and the return ' switched live ' leaves the other switch.
The strapper link between the switches will be 2 core + earth.
To dispense with any one of these switches gives you a similar problem.
In addition to removing the strapper cable/wires the wire coming down from the ceiling rose to the switch you no longer need has to withdrawn and re-routed to the other switch. With your 'live' and ' switched live' now at the same switch you can now use the two way switch in a one way mode. The other switch can be removed or fitted with blanking plate.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back