Light Switch Keeps Tripping MCB Fuse - HELP!

I think we've finally nailed this one!

I took off all the wall lights and then tried the switch and it worked fine. Sending a current to the chock-blocks in the wall when the switch was turned on and no current when it was switched off. All of this without triping the MCB fuse.

My plan was to re-connect each wall light one-by-one and test after each installation. Hopefully this would identify which one was the dodgy wall-light.

I replaced the first wall light and when I tested it the MCB fuse tripped out. I then disconnected this and tried a different light and that worked fine.

I noticed a small current comming from the earth in both the switch and the wall lights - is this normal?

I think the problem may be down to the earth wire not being sleeved and perhaps touching one of the other two wire at the wall lights.

We've decided to purchase a new set of four wall lights. We're gonna go for some with a plastic frame hopefully to avoid the same problem again.

Thanks to all you guys who responded - I have very much appreciated all your questions, comments and advice.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back