Light switch needs rewiring every time powers goes off..???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please, please can someone help me.

I purchased a number of the Homebase 'Cassa' range dimmer light switches. They are electronic pushbutton control with an indicator LED rather than the rotary knob that you see more often.

The problem is that when we have a power cut (or the power is switched off), more often than not the switch no longer works at all and appears to have no power (no LED is lit).

I then have to remove the switch, remove the wires, then re-wire and things return to normal.... Has anyone got any idea why this is happening? or what I can do to avoid it? It seems strange firstly that they stop working, and secondly that reinserting the wires (whilst power is off....) rectifies the fault...?

There are 3 terminals on the rear of the switch marked L, Sw and an arrow with wavey line through it. I have the red connected to L and black connected to the arrow terminal.

Any help would be much appreciated!!!!!

Many thanks

Drew

Sponsored Links
according to this post the
~ terminal is for a retractive switch to conect to by way of operating a latching relay. Basically you use a retractive switch to momentarily switch 240v onto the terminal.
(i.e. for 2 way switching -but your not doing this. which says to me you have wired them up wrong, but i wouldnt advocate doing trial and error on you dimmers to get it right as they may well end up going up in smoke. Have you got a copy of the instructions still?

Thanks Sm1thson,

I do have the installation instructions but would you beleive they do not cover the dimmers, only the conventional rocker switches!!!

If I wired them incorrectly, surely they wouldn't work at all though would they?

quailtrailblue said:
Thanks Sm1thson,

I do have the installation instructions but would you beleive they do not cover the dimmers, only the conventional rocker switches!!!

If I wired them incorrectly, surely they wouldn't work at all though would they?

Or worst case they could cause a fire.

Sponsored Links
Sm1thson,

I actually found a switch with correct installation instructions - it is wired correctly, the Sw is used for 2/multiway switching.

But I have made another discovery - the switch is not earthed and it has a metal face plate.....!

quailtrailblue said:
I actually found a switch with correct installation instructions - it is wired correctly, the Sw is used for 2/multiway switching.
good, sorry for the red herring

quailtrailblue said:
But I have made another discovery - the switch is not earthed and it has a metal face plate.....!
that is very dangerous, is there an earth availiable? (ie going to the backbox) if not i would go put some normal plastic switches on before doing anything else.

i would also ring the manufactures reguarding your original problem, let us know what they say.

sm1thson said:
quailtrailblue said:
good, sorry for the red herring

quailtrailblue said:
that is very dangerous, is there an earth availiable? (ie going to the backbox) if not i would go put some normal plastic switches on before doing anything else.

i would also ring the manufactures reguarding your original problem, let us know what they say.

Yes, theres an earth going to the back box - should I connect to the switch instead?

This may be caused by the type of lamp you are dimming - if you are currently dimming a low energy fluorescent try replacing with a normal incandescant and see if you still have the same problem.

THRIPSTER said:
This may be caused by the type of lamp you are dimming - if you are currently dimming a low energy fluorescent try replacing with a normal incandescant and see if you still have the same problem.

Thanks for your thoughts thripster.

Its just a normal bulb..........

quailtrailblue said:
Yes, theres an earth going to the back box - should I connect to the switch instead?
that would be better, but the correct answer is to both! best way is to go to the switch then add a bit of earth (with some grn/yel sleave) to the backbox. unfortunately that wont solve your problem but it might save someone getting killed so looks like you'll be doing that tomorrow morning! as i have said give the manufaturers a ring. (i think the cassa stuff is something else rebranded?)

Hmmm . . . this whole thread illustrates why people with any sense dont buy electrical acessories from Homebase. Overpriced tat. If you must, use B&Q. They have a much wider range, and most of it is branded.

Crafty, sometimes sense comes only with experience and I think I have learned a bit today.......

Nevertheless, I have spent alot of £'s know and really like the style so I want to sort it out - have you got ideas why this might be happening?

Many thanks

hi drew, does it happen every time the power goes off? i.e. can you make it happen at will by just turning off the breaker feeding the lights then back on and it will be freaked.

fireman22 said:
hi drew, does it happen every time the power goes off? i.e. can you make it happen at will by just turning off the breaker feeding the lights then back on and it will be freaked.

Hi fireman,

It doesn't go off every single time, but yes if I switch off the power at the breaker it will go off more often than not. But it is more likely to 'fail' during a storm induced power cut than a 'controlled' one....

I would say that they go off 80-90% of the time during any type of power loss.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back