Light Switch terminals

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know the answer is probably to replace the switch, but, why do the terminal screws keep working loose in the back of my lightswtich switch???

It happened shortly after I moved in, and has happened a few times since. Is it something I'm doing wrong????

The first time it happened the screw had removed itself from the back of the switch completley and fell on to the floor when I took the switch off the wall.

Any thoughts????

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Either

[1] you are not tightening tight enough

[2] the copper wire has been softened by being over heated due to the first time it became loose and will no longer enable a tight connection to be made. scorched, melted or discoloured insulation is sign over heating has happened

[3] the switches are poor quality

Try a new switch, cut the end of the wire away ( assuming there is enough spare wire), and tightened the screws

It has been suggested that the 50Hz frequency of our electrical supply can over time encourage screws to loosen off.

This explains why the 17th is so sharp on making sure junction boxes MUST be servicable.

Maybe the switch terminals have been over tightened in the past and no longer provide a firm contact due to screw / thread wear. I'd suggest that you replace the switch with a decent brand item and hopefully that will prevent any future need to work on the item.

is this perhaps in a wall subject to vibration on a regular basis? perhaps from a heavy handed door closer?

Sponsored Links
Possibly the threads on the terminals are worn or don't match up.
Try a new switch.
When re-stripping ends of wires, 'double over' the copper ends where only one wire enters a terminal.
This will prevent the ends from weakening so much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back