Light switches. COM and L

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I've brought some new light switches to replace one's in our house. I hoped the back of the switches would be the same and should be a simple rewire.

For example, on an old 2 way switch across the top a red wire goes into COM and then from COM into L1. Along the bottom a blue wire goes into L1 and yellow wire into COM.

On the new switch there is a left hand panel and a right hand panel on the back. On both there is L at the top and L1 and L2 at the bottom.

Is L the same as COM? How do I know whether to wire the current top and bottom row configurations into the left or right hand panels on the back of the new switches?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
yes L is the same as Com..

red into Com with a link to other Com..
yellow into one L1, blue into the other L1...

That's great - thanks.

Just so I can understand this a bit better can you explain anymore?

Currently the red wire goes into COM and then out of the same COM into a L1. You suggest going into COM and out and into the other COM.

The yellow currently goes into a COM and you suggest putting into L1.

This is only the 3rd of 7 switches I want to replace (the others were straight forward) and I'm confused already :D

That's exactly what he's suggesting. Both the blue and yellow conductors should be identified with a little red or brown sleeving.

Also, don't forget to earth the switch faces if they're metallic.

Sponsored Links
that's what he's saying though, then new ones aren't, that's what's confusing him

post a picture of tha back of the new switches and we'll confirm this diagnosis for you..

or at the least, give us a make and model so we can look them up..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back