Light switches - SP? DP?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, this is a very simple question, what is the difference between SP and DP switches?

I am looking to replace a couple of light switches, by means of simply swapping out the old one and fitting a new one. I know the difference between 1 way and 2 way switches but haven't a clue what the difference between SP and DP is/means.

I am looking at 10AX plate switches which I assume will be suitable for domestic lighting (on dedicated rings) but before I buy anything could someone please recommend which type I should be using? (SP or DP?)

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

soms.

Sponsored Links
SP means single pole; i.e. it switches one wire (the "phase" or "line") and the neutral is permanently connected.

DP means "Double Pole" i.e. it switch both the P and the Neutral. Not usually used for ceiling lamps.

DP switches are used for appliances such as cookers and immersion heaters, also on (most) plug sockets.

p.s. you mention "domestic lighting (on dedicated rings)." Lighting is not on Ring circuits. Rings are only used for Socket circuits, and only in UK and some other countries which use our splendid Fused Plug method.

SP is single pole (only switches live) and DP is double pole (switches live & neutral). DP switches in lighting are rare because you need to wire the circuit in a specific way to use DP switches.

SP switches are the norm, because usually, there are only lives at the switch.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much, that makes sense of it perfectly.

So single pole is fine and is probably what is already installed. I suppose on on power sockets in particular DP might be considered safer, I guess this doesn't matter on a "sealed"/"non-interfacing" light circuit.

Thanks.

If you want extra security on roses, you could fit "SHOCKGUARD" lampholders.

Thanks all for the info! SP it is then for light switches and DP for any replacement sockets I purchase. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back