SP or DP sockets - Whats the difference?

Do you also use the one hand method of working with electrics?

What ARE you on about?

That you only touch electrics with one hand to avoid it going through your heart. Interrupting the clock of your heart is a prime cause of death by electrocution, alongside shocks to the brain inducing a fit. The rest of your body is far less bothered.

People who work with very high voltages use the idea "one hand in your pocket", to avoid that.

Shocks to the brain are used to induce "status epilepticus", a fit. A Dr Freeman (and I use the word Doctor, VERY loosely) used the method to then perform transorbital lobotomies on people without chemical anesthetics whilst they were fitting for a few minutes. Google it if you want to know the lows of the world, but I can assure you, it's nasty!

50V is the standard for universities as their safe level. Above that, it starts conducting too much current and hurts - causes muscles to clamp up. At 100V, you will certainly feel it. At kVs and any decent current, muscles will lock up and even high drop supplies may cause your heart to seize.

{edit}I bet you googled Tim Burners. :p

He wouldn't have got far, because his name is Berners-Lee, not Burners. And you should address him as Sir Timothy.

You googled him. :p

Sponsored Links
People who wear ESD gear are on factory lines producing huge quantities of it, or don't know what ESD and impedances are.
Or who were trained to do it properly when working inside servers worth £'000,000s and don't believe that the standard should be any lower with PCs worth £'00s.

Do you also use the one hand method of working with electrics?
Only when unavoidable.

As you have such a problem with using my teeth and then had a go at the other guy for being a cowboy since he didn't buy ESD gear, gear obviously does matter to you. When my gear outranks yours, suddenly it doesn't matter.
It doesn't matter, any more than it matters whether you drive a Veyron or a Proton when it comes to wearing a seatbelt.

Do you think perhaps I could equally look down on you and say... well, you're not using a high end Fluke, so it's probably not standardized and it's probably not very good?
Nor is that relevant, but I do have the equipment appropriate to what I do.

Do you know that a lot of silicon now has ESD diodes built into it?
Does it all?

And what avalanche currents are?
Yes, assuming given the context you're talking about avalanche diodes for protection.

Medical equipment is plugged in to the mains and then connected to patients with conductive leads.

Explain.
Why? That's irrelevant to safe working practices.

You'd lose that bet.

Sponsored Links

He wouldn't have got far, because his name is Berners-Lee, not Burners. And you should address him as Sir Timothy.

You googled him.

You tell yourself that. ;)

I will, because I'm right aren't I? :D

For example, if you google Tim Burners, it brings up his wiki entry.

Actually no, you're not. But I did check wikipedia directly on a few facts while he was in my head. ;)

If you're working with millions of pounds worth of server gear, an ESD band is a good idea. If you're working with a stick of memory that cost next to nothing and the with chances of you toasting it next to 0, then no.

People servicing entire server racks are walking around, gathering up charge. If you're swapping a memory stick, it'll take about 5 seconds. Touch the casing, swap it, turn it back on.

Does it all? No, because not all of it needs it. Most things with high complexity / part cost processors does.

Medical gear, because you're talking about the mains and isolation. A piece of medical gear in an operating theater is turned on and connected to the mains, and the patient. Why do they do that? Because they know it won't kill them. They also shock patients from capacitors that'd kill other people. Why? Because they know it won't kill them.

I'm not arguing at all with your ideas of following health and safety. I have written health and safety requests for universities, and had them granted. What worries me, if your firm belief that they will universally function and anything else is wrong.

You googled him.

You tell yourself that. ;)

I will, because I'm right aren't I? :D

For example, if you google Tim Burners, it brings up his wiki entry.

Actually no, you're not. But I did check wikipedia directly on a few facts while he was in my head. ;)

Like how to spell his name and the fact he's Sir. ;)

Like how to spell his name and the fact he's Sir. ;)

No, everyone knows that.. Except you. ;)

Except the only person in this thread who's actually spoken to him.

Right... and now I guess, all of you have had a chat with him.

The hyphenated spelling gives away a copy paste, he doesn't sign his own emails that way.

I've worked in university electronics labs, and had looooong chats with people working with quantum layer superconductors and data-storage using spin states, or atomic holography.

I don't need telling I'm a moron for using my teeth to strip certain wires.

Yes, the mains is dangerous. No, you don't need £1k's worth of ESD gear to work with computers at home. No, you shouldn't strip random wires with your teeth. All things I said in the first posts; which were then strategically deleted from the replies.

It's called sarcasm. And no, I didn't copy and paste his name, I have a memory.

That you only touch electrics with one hand to avoid it going through your heart. Interrupting the clock of your heart is a prime cause of death by electrocution, alongside shocks to the brain inducing a fit. The rest of your body is far less bothered.

So you never touch copper and only work on electrics with one hand while the other is in your pocket?? I would pay handsomly to watch you strip twin and earth or prepare MI/pyro for that matter.

As I also said, I don't do that with T&E. First of all, because it'll wreck my teeth, secondly, because I can't see the entire pathway. I would NEVER do that with a bit of T&E sticking out of a wall.
Would you do anything to it if you hadn't proved it wasn't live and put in place a system to prevent it being energised without your knowledge?

If it's T&E, I'll flick the breakers and then check it with the multimeter.
Do you check that your multimeter works, before and after that test?

Do you check, or guard against, inadvertent energising of the circuit due to flaws elsewhere?

If I installed it, I'll know what it's connected to and whether or not it's entirely isolated. Then I'll use the strippers or, if I can't find them, a razor blade.
You are fond of inappropriate tools, aren't you.

Can you tell me how unplugging something, checking the socket is off and then being able to see the plug is not checking something is isolated?
It is.

Can you tell me why you are not prepared to recognise any other form of verified isolation?

Pieces of paper are mentioned because it's you who's making the assumption.
Pieces of paper have nothing to do with isolating electrical equipment and checking that it is isolated.

Firstly that we're all cowboys for not doing it the way you do it,
I am not the only one who does it that way.

and secondly for having such faith in your method of testing. I have seen journal entries using the same logic and then introducing failures, or people dying in industrial accidents, because they've been told to trust what the indicator says.
Industrial accidents like that are not really relevant to using test lamps and a proving unit in an appropriate way.

I stood in a lab with 60 other students and staff members at one point, and not a single person, bar me, bothered to check their pipettes against a reference prior to working with them.
And the relevance of that to my assertion that test lamps and a proving unit in an appropriate way is less limiting than not touching something unless you can see that the other end isn't plugged in is what, exactly?

Neither did my tutor, the person with a PhD, who has a paper published with errors in it due to him trusting the standardized protocol for decontaminating a sample, and then applying it to a system he didn't design.
Are you trying to refute my assertion that is is wrong to use inappropriate techniques by quoting an example of someone who made mistakes because he used inappropriate techniques?

A worrying example if respirators. After the twin towers epic a55hole situation, shops where selling out of them. And people turned up dead because they'd put them on, then not realized they needed to remove the covers. One, very, very basic step in making it function. But caused by the assumption it'd protect them, because it looked like it would. They'd suffocated themselves, by mistake.
The mistake was to use them inappropriately, to assume that they would work without needing to bother with the appropriate use of them.

The safest way to work is to assume the safety gear isn't working.
But what if that assumption means that you cannot do the work?

I'm not getting at you or looking to complain, I'm just trying to explain that, I get your point, but it's the internet getting in the way of explaining that I do only do that on very specific things.
Do what?

Use your teeth to strip wires? That's never appropriate.

Only work with cables that are supplied via a plug which you can see isn't plugged in? That's an inappropriate restriction.

If you're working with millions of pounds worth of server gear, an ESD band is a good idea. If you're working with a stick of memory that cost next to nothing and the with chances of you toasting it next to 0, then no.
The right way is the right way, and that's all there is to it.

People servicing entire server racks are walking around, gathering up charge. If you're swapping a memory stick, it'll take about 5 seconds. Touch the casing, swap it, turn it back on.
No.

Medical gear, because you're talking about the mains and isolation. A piece of medical gear in an operating theater is turned on and connected to the mains, and the patient. Why do they do that? Because they know it won't kill them.
Neither will a mains powered shaver.

I'm afraid I really don't know what point you're trying to make. What's the relevance of equipment designed to be connected to a person and safe isolation of equipment not designed to be connected to a person?

They also shock patients from capacitors that'd kill other people. Why? Because they know it won't kill them.
Again - what's the relevance of that to following safe isolation procedures.

I'm not arguing at all with your ideas of following health and safety. I have written health and safety requests for universities, and had them granted. What worries me, if your firm belief that they will universally function and anything else is wrong.
I haven't said they will universally function.

I have said that it is wrong to ignore H&S guidelines in order to facilitate an inappropriate method of ESD protection.

And I have questioned the practicality of your attitude to working with cables because you won't adopt the accepted methods of safe isolation.

Except the only person in this thread who's actually spoken to him.

Right... and now I guess, all of you have had a chat with him.
I haven't.

But I do know how to spell his name. You should not interpret that undeniably true assertion as a claim of a personal relationship with him.

The hyphenated spelling gives away a copy paste, he doesn't sign his own emails that way.
I don't suppose he signs them Tim Burners either.

I've worked in university electronics labs, and had looooong chats with people working with quantum layer superconductors and data-storage using spin states, or atomic holography.
And the relevance of that to using an inappropriate method of stripping wires or whether you should work on equipment which you have to leave plugged in because you want to use an inappropriate form of ESD protection is what, exactly?

I don't need telling I'm a moron for using my teeth to strip certain wires.
Don't do it then.

Yes, the mains is dangerous. No, you don't need £1k's worth of ESD gear to work with computers at home. No, you shouldn't strip random wires with your teeth.
You shouldn't strip any wires with your teeth - that's not what teeth are for - they are inappropriate, and the use of inappropriate tools is wrong.

All things I said in the first posts; which were then strategically deleted from the replies.
Nobody strategically deleted anything from any of your replies. If you believe they did then please provide an example where this would be a reasonable interpretation.

No.

Would you then have me entirely disconnect my workstation, lug all 30+ kilos of it downstairs to my work area, open it, perform a simple task like changing a stick of memory or a PCI card, and then reverse the prior steps when I can simply do it in under a minute under the desk, with less risk of damaging components?

And the connections on the rear of the switch on the front panel?

And the instructions to disconnect it before opening the case?

Sorry - leaving it plugged in because you can't be rsed to invest in or use proper antistatic precautions is unprofessional and incompetent.

Stirred something up here havn't I. . . .

The switch I turn off is the one on the socket where the PC is plugged into the wall. I don't do it very often (own PC only) so investment in ESD protection is not worhtwhile

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back