DP vs SP sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Noticed that screwfix do double pole and single pole 13A sockets. There is about a 30p price difference (insignificant really).

What I want to know is whether there is any real point going for the DP ones over the SP ones. Does it really matter?

Cheers
Dan

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

Noticed that screwfix do double pole and single pole 13A sockets. There is about a 30p price difference (insignificant really).

What I want to know is whether there is any real point going for the SP ones over the DP ones. Does saving 30p really matter?

Cheers
BAS

May be an advantage with DP if you had rcd circuits and developed a N to E fault,you could switch off the fault easier than unplugging it.
Plus there is proberly other advantages with DP
The only disadvantage I see with DP is if the N switch failed to close

Some appliances actually require double pole isolation to be classed as isolated, some are permitted for plug in use as well as fixed appliance use.
So with SP although the thing is off the N is still connected.
Heaters , etc sometimes state DP isolation in there instructions although you can technically unplug it to do so

SWITCHED FCUs are double pole so why not the sockets

Sponsored Links
Nothing to stop you working to a higher standard than BS7671 ;)

(Hmm that doesn't read right, but you get what I mean)

Fair enough i'll get DP.

Just because DP sounds twice as good as SP doesn't mean it is, hence the question.

Cheers

I'd certainly reccomend they be replaced with switched sockets (unless of course they are deliberatly not switched), but there is no regulation AFAIK which prevents you from having / installing them throughout an installation.

Not really a likely scenario, but no reason why you couldn't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back