New kitchen sockets .. SP or DP ?

AFAIK the only restriction is that a central heating boiler cannot be plugged into a switched socket.
Must be an unswitched socket or a fused connection unit.
This is so that L+N isolation is assured, by pulling out the plug or switching off.

I have came across many plugged into existing kitchen sockets over the years. I wouldn't know if this is legal or not as I am just a DIYer.

What I have come to learn is that a double socket is not 2 x 13 amp, but generally more around 20A, hence my recommendation of quality double sockets in the kitchen. We know plugging a washing machine and tumbler stacked on each other taking both sockets, disregarding diversity is a no-no. But a toaster and kettle at the same time (as common as it must be) will only be for short periods. A B&M Chinese import I would not advise.

Sponsored Links
[QUOTE="wbmkk, post: 5118730, member: 29081"
BTW, they will be metal clad front plates if that is important.

thanks ![/QUOTE]
Think

BTW, they will be metal clad front plates if that is important.

thanks !
Think we are all sure what you mean by "metal clad" but 95 percent of what the trade know as metalclad sockets, would look downright ugly in a kitchen. :)
Up till the days of the internet i bet most did not even know if the sockets they purchased were SP or DP

Sponsored Links
I don't get you Rocky??
Google it :)
Metalclad are traditionally surface sockets used in warehouses and garages, using the fronts only aside looking crap, will be too small and barely cover the back box

What I have come to learn is that a double socket is not 2 x 13 amp, but generally more around 20A ...
It is certainly true that they only have to pass the BS1362 temperature rise test at 20A (14A+6A), but that obviously doesn't mean that manufacturers can't make ones which will happily cope with 26A continuously.
... hence my recommendation of quality double sockets in the kitchen.
I'm not sure thst 'quality sockets are necessarily any different from any others in relation to the above.
We know plugging a washing machine and tumbler stacked on each other taking both sockets, disregarding diversity is a no-no. ...
You may regard it as a "no-no", but it is a very common practice and, although we quite often hear of the exceptions, it seems that the great majority of cases give no problems.
But a toaster and kettle at the same time (as common as it must be) will only be for short periods.
True, but a WM+Tumble dryer will probably only draw a combined current >20A for relatively 'short periods' (if ever) - so not necessarily all that much different.

Kind Regards, John

It is certainly true that they only have to pass the BS1362 temperature rise test at 20A (14A+6A), but that obviously doesn't mean that manufacturers can't make ones which will happily cope with 26A continuously.
I'm not sure thst 'quality sockets are necessarily any different from any others in relation to the above.
You may regard it as a "no-no", but it is a very common practice and, although we quite often hear of the exceptions, it seems that the great majority of cases give no problems.
True, but a WM+Tumble dryer will probably only draw a combined current >20A for relatively 'short periods' (if ever) - so not necessarily all that much different.

Kind Regards, John

That's me corrected then...

Thankyou John. I am here just to learn really. My background is electronics, and there is so much of a difference. I have heard ' I do electronics, so electrical work is the same just bigger' The laws are the same, but in practice, definitely not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back