Light wiring (celing rose to new light with just live/neutra

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This has stumped me somewhat when it should be extremely easy. I'm trying to wire a Laura Ashley light in the bedroom, here is how the old ceiling rose looks:

I can identify the following:

- Yellow/green (Earth)
- Left hand side red (switched live)
- Right hand side black (Neutral)
- Middle black neutral
- Middle red live

Here is the new lighting connector just accepting a live/neutral

I was going to use wago connectors to get this done, my plan is as follows.

- Terminate the earth as the new light is double earthed and not required
- Use the existing blue cable from the ceiling rose to connect both black neutral wires together
- Use the brown cable from the ceiling rose to connect the switched live via a wago connector

This leaves me with the red live wire from the middle, what do I do with this?

Does the above make sense or have I gone about this completely wrong? :eek:

Sponsored Links
Completely wrong. As is the way the existing pendant is wired up. So lets sort that all out.

Coming out of the ceiling there will be two cables, yes?
Each with a red and a black.

Connect the two reds together in a Wago or other terminal block.

You are then left with two blacks. One is the neutral and the other is the switched live. Connect those up to the two connectors on teh new light.

Connect the two cpc (earths) together in a Wago/TB. Job done.

By the way. Re
connect both black neutral wires together
:eek:
No no no. you do not have two neutral wires. You have two BLACK wires. They have an identity crisis as nobody has told them what they are. All they know is that they are black.
One is a neutral, but one is the switched live.

Have a look at the lighting diagrams in the WIKI and you'll understand it.

The red and the black wires on the left are the wrong way around, and the left black wire should be sleeved red to indicate switched live.

Your wires at the moment from left to right; switched live from switch, live to switch, live from feed, neutral

If you start fitting extra wagos / connector blocks in the base of that light outside the stupid little connector thing with sleeving that they supply, then you have voided the manufacturers declaration of the fittings being class 2.

There therefore are three options available:

1) Make a joint in an separate enclosure and provide a single cable to the fitting as the manufacturer intended

2) Take it back as not fit for purpose within the UK with our loop-in wiring and put the pendant back with a nice lampshade

3) Accept that you will be modifying/installing outside of the manufacturers intentions and convert to class 1

Sponsored Links
Sorry for the late reply, I got around to this yesterday and it works perfectly. Thanks for everyone's help :)

Those little wago boxes are fantastic, never used them before!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back