Lighting circuit down after a switch off

I haven't touched the ceiling rose.

I don't even know what I am testing here.....AC Voltage, DC Voltage or DC Current? And the dial makes no sense to a complete novice.

Sponsored Links
You testing for AC voltage.
Test across each red separately using the red probe, then using the earth terminal as your second references point. with the second probe.
You are looking for reading of 230-250V. Only one of the reds should give you this, be careful your live!

Has a meter now PBoD

Turn off power.

Put the three reds separately in a row of connectors.

Set meter to 240V and put red probe in the connector on the other side of ONE of the reds.

Turn ON power and touch the back box with the black probe.
If it registers 240V that was lucky - if not try the same with another red.

Don't forget to turn power off in between testing.

When you have found which is the Live, mark it.

Sponsored Links
When you have found which is Live connect it to L2.

Then take one of the other reds and connect it to 'Xsymbol'.

If the light works put the third red in L2 with Live red.

If the light doesn't work then take red out of 'Xsymbol' and put it in L2 with Live red and put third red in 'Xsymbol"

Woke this morning to find kitchen and bathrroom lights not working, but bedroom is ????? What could have changed overnight ?

I would guess that when you tested the bathroom light yesterday, the bedroom light was on, and it was off when you tested it this morning (or vice versa).

EFLI are you saying leave the red probe hanging in the switch whilst I switch the power back on? It will just fall onto the floor?

EFLI is saying
reds in separate connectors
Probe tightened in connector of one red
Then test across earth of back box for voltage.
Place the multi-meter on something that will support it, like a pair of step ladders :rolleyes:

I've touched each red wire with both probes and nothing has happened, I have the meter set at 200 A with a straight line.

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Can you get back to how it was previously? 2 wires in the 'funny X' and one in L2? And all the lights working if the bedroom light is on at maximum brightness?

Then put a pen mark on the wire in L2. Move the wire in L2 to L1 and move ONE wire in 'X' to L1 (so there are 2 wires in L1 and one in X)

If the bedroom light is now on constantly, don't move the 'marked' wire, but swap the unmarked wires in X & L1.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back