Lighting circuit powered from 15A ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a need to install some wall lights in a kitchen and for various reasons cannot access the 5A radial lighting circuit. Is it permissible to take a spur from the 15A ring main (which I can access) provided that it has a 5A fuse and switch incorporated. There will be 6 x 20W low voltage tungsten and 6 x 20W slimline fluorescent lamps connected along the spur. Also can I assume that the total current drawn will be approximately 1A (I have read somewhere that fluorescent lamps must be over-rated when doing this sum). Many thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
No expert but could you clarify your 15A ring? Should be 30/32A.
15 sounds like a radial.

Sponsored Links
Ban you beat me to it , spur through a FCU WITH 2.5mm then 1.5mm the other side should be fine making sure the correct fuse is in place 6amp

unphased_spark it is normal parctice to use a 3A fuse if you are running a single light

and 6A plug sized fuses don't exist afaict

Not permissible because it is possible to inadvertently fail to isolate during maintenance of the spur supplied lights. ie you isolate the kitchen lighting circuit but the lights off the spur remain live. This is bad practice.

Inspector said:
Not permissible because it is possible to inadvertently fail to isolate during maintenance of the spur supplied lights. ie you isolate the kitchen lighting circuit but the lights off the spur remain live. This is bad practice.

You and I, the NICEIC, the ECA and most Electricians in the UK will disagree on that point Inspector.

There is nothing wrong with the circuit as explained, it is not bad design at all, and if you have an NICEIC Technical Handbook available you will see it is perfectly acceptable so long as the spur is fused correctly.

I would guestimate that 80% of all under-unit lighting in kitchens is powered using this method to prevent vertical cable runs on kitchen walls..for obvious reasons.

FWL_Engineer said:
I would guestimate that 80% of all under-unit lighting in kitchens is powered using this method to prevent vertical cable runs on kitchen walls..for obvious reasons.

Ah, but then people are EXPECTING that... however, this post is about wall lights. Every house I have ever been in with wall lights in the living room had the lights wired in to wall switches on the lighting circuit. Must say I have never seen them in kitchens though.

To me it does sound like bad design to wire lights in to FCU's on the ring/radial... although from what I have learned I wouldn't think it would contravene regs. I will sit right in between FWL and Inspector on this one ;)

From what Inspector says, it sounds like he is assuming there will be a switch BETWEEN THE FCU AND THE LIGHTS. You would know if your lights aren't isolated by the way they are currently emitting light. ;) Is it allowable to do this? I would think not as then it would easily be mistaken for a lighting circuit switch (take it off the wall: one T&E in, one T&E out).

Is it not necessary to have the FCU in a visible location? In other words would it perhaps be worth the hassle of accessing your lighting circuit to avoid having a big ugly switch in the middle of your soon-to-be very bright kitchen? :?:

Adam, mate, I shall call you Paddy Ashdown due to your prolonged fence-sitting!! May you get a sore ar*e!!!

AdamW said:
Ah, but then people are EXPECTING that... however, this post is about wall lights. Every house I have ever been in with wall lights in the living room had the lights wired in to wall switches on the lighting circuit. Must say I have never seen them in kitchens though.

I think you will find that when he re-posts these will turn out to be undercupboard, and possibly in-cupboard lights..look at their power ratings..dead give-away.
AdamW said:
To me it does sound like bad design to wire lights in to FCU's on the ring/radial... although from what I have learned I wouldn't think it would contravene regs. I will sit right in between FWL and Inspector on this one ;)

Nothing link having an opinion is there ;)

AdamW said:
From what Inspector says, it sounds like he is assuming there will be a switch BETWEEN THE FCU AND THE LIGHTS. You would know if your lights aren't isolated by the way they are currently emitting light. ;) Is it allowable to do this? I would think not as then it would easily be mistaken for a lighting circuit switch (take it off the wall: one T&E in, one T&E out).

Whilst it is not usual to install an additional light-switch, it is not uncommon either, it will depend on the actual set-up. But there is nothin bad in the design or against the Regs in doing this.

AdamW said:
Is it not necessary to have the FCU in a visible location? In other words would it perhaps be worth the hassle of accessing your lighting circuit to avoid having a big ugly switch in the middle of your soon-to-be very bright kitchen? :?:

Like your sockets and Spurs for other purposes such as feeding unswitched, under-unit sockets for fridges and freezers?

Just to add on an above comment regarding lights not being isolated, also NEVER assume a circuit is isolated just because a light isn't on (the fitting/lamp may be faulty) always test a circuit with a reliable instrument to make sure it is dead (something an electrician will do as a matter of course but should be common sense for anyone attempting to work on electrics).

Plug,

Apologies, actually mean't 3amp for the FCU but typing quicker than thinking and hit 6 thinking still thinking > light circuit........ Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back