Lighting Circuit Problem.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
... The bulb in the bathroom blew, so I changed it with a known good and zilch... I tried the bulb in another room and it worked...

Next I changed the pull switch, just in case it was defective and again... zilch!

So I got out the multimeter and checked for power in the circuit and nothing... I confirmed the multimeter was working by checking the power in a rose in another room and all was fine with ~240v.

I've checked that the wires from the switch to the rose are OK, and they are, I've checked that the wires from the rose to the shaver socket are good and they are.

There are 4 sets of cable going into the rose but I am not sure, as yet, if the bathroom fan is one of those which would mean the bathroom is the last room on the circuit (every other light in the house works so I am assuming that it is the last on the circuit).

Would i be right in assuming that the fault probably lies in the cable from the previous ceiling rose? Suprising as the house is only 7 years old and I've made no electrical additions to the wiring, not even a spur off the ring, nor have I done any dubious DIY with a drill anywhere near the bathroom!!!!! ;)

Your help and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Joskyn

Sponsored Links
Yeah all that seems to make sense.

I've seen a new build house (not sure which company it was by though) with an FCU at ceiling level in the bathroom protecting the supply to the rose (I assume this was to fuse down to the level specified by the fan manufacteror), might be worth checking to see if you have a similar arrangement?

Adam,

Thanks mate, I'd simply thought that the Fused Switch outside the batroom for the fan was for the fan alone. You were 100% correct, new 3 amp fuse and all is working!! :D

Saves playing silly muppets around the loft (spacious as it is) trying to trace a fault!

Cheers

Joskyn

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back