Lighting for Cloakroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not to sure about the regs and cloakrooms etc... The cloakroom I'm doing up never had a basin and was just a toilet. The old set up had a wall mounted switch and a ceiling rose with flex to a bayonet fitting. I plan to remove the wall mounted switch for a ceiling one regardless as the basin will be about a metre or so away. My question is the type of lighting that can be used? Can I get away with any type of ceiling lighting... obviously nothing too dangly?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Do have a good look around your room, check especially in the corners:

is there:

a swimming pool?
sauna?
bath or shower?

if the answer to the above is no then there are no different regs than those for a bedroom.

will the addition of a hand basin make notification necessary?

Sponsored Links
will the addition of a hand basin make notification necessary?

If a handbasin was significant then I would have listed it in my post above.
Now, if you fitted the handbasin on the floor and put a shower mixer over it then it would be a special location. But I don't think that you are planning that...

[/quote]

So it isn't a special location. Does the 60cm exclusion for zone 2 still apply? It would seems sensible for it to apply but I don't know.

It isn't a "location containing a bathtub or shower basin" so zone 2 doesn't exist.
The general rules still apply i.e. everything needs to be suitable for where it is installed.

You dont have a bathtub or shower, so how can you exclude 600mm from something which doesn't exist?

OK lovely, answered all my questions. The only reason I asked about the hand basin was that there could be splashbacks etc... and I just wanted to make sure. Regardless of this fact I was still going to put in a Ceiling switch just for piece of mind.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back