Lighting from ring main

Sponsored Links
as previously stated..if the fitting is rated for or internally fused as to protect the light fitting then i see no need for a FCU as the cable would be sized to suit the breaker and needs no further protection.

Optimum word being "IF" most light are not internaly fused, even if it were, not a good idea.

example:

light x fails (some one smashes it) you cant isolate just the one light becuse the fuse is inside the fitting, which you can just about get to, so you have to turn off all lights a-z (this is light x rember)

if each had its own fcu, you can just isolate light x

Sponsored Links
please refer to my previous post which states that this suggestion came from another..namely an nic approved manager. I could not see or find a reason within the regs that would not allow it.
However would i actually do it..Ermm..Where's that cup of tea.:cool:

so you would connect a light to a ring with no fcu if it was internaly fused.

oh well, go and have your tea

Actually Breezer i would not have to isolate lights a to z as only x is a light...all the rest are sockets....just messing with you. :LOL:

Just for closure..would i go ahead..probably wouldn't as it would not 'feel right' however despite the overwhelming advice to the contrary no one has been able to supply a valid (regs) reason not to which was the point of the question in the first place.
Oh well at least it was thought provoking for my first post.
Thanks guys .. going to put the kettle on again now.
Regards
Steve

Just thought I'd pop in with the relevant reg number, 553-03-01 :)

It limits the amerage of a circuit to which a lamp holder can be connected to unless separate overcurrent protection is provided (such as FCU, or I suppose internal fuse) or if the lamp holder is enclosed in earthed metal or insulating material resistant to ignition (this I presume is protection from exploding lamps!)

Hi r1rider,

Can you tell me what area your in so I can make sure you haven’t wired any of my family or friends houses, I wouldn’t want you anywhere near my house if you would even think about putting a light fitting on a ring main with no fuse protection!

What happens when someone new moves into the house and wants to change the light fitting, they isolate the lighting circuit assuming that’s where its powered from (why would they think any differently, its common sense), they start removing the light and BANG!, yes they should have checked that the cables were dead but how may diyers actually do?

If a light fitting is fed from the ring main it should be fed via an fcu which is in plain view and clearly labelled preferably also with what rating fuse is fitted. There may not be any specific reg for this but that’s how it should be done - period!

Dan

Dan you have clearly not read the whole story...i was merely asking a question as it was proposed to me by an NI approved manager!!

I HAVE NOT AND WOULD NOT BASED ON MY OWN STANDARDS INSTALL SAID ITEM IN SAID MANNER!! There i have said it now.

However .. I would like to thank Adam for his more tactful and less knee jerk response.

;)

The fuse is there to protect the cable...NOT the appliance, ANY appliance!
I worked for 15 years as a Hospital X-Ray engineer...and OUR rules are FAR stricter than any domestic/commercial ones!

THE FUSE PROTECTS THE CABLE....if the appliance blows the fuse, it's already kn*ckered!

OK, I now have to admit I have some worries about Norwegian electrics (where I now live)....we have 3phase DELTA 230V supply, and the ONLY stipulation for light fittings is....they have to be connected via a plug/socket...and we DON'T have fused plugs!!!! You can spur off (no ring-mains here either :oops: , connect to a wall switch, and then up to a socket at ceiling height in 2.5, but then there is NO fuse from there to the fitting.
So, you can have a 2.5mm cable to a socket, and then a 0.5mm cable running up the wall, along the ceiling, and into a light fitting with a 40W bulb!! But it still comes down to the ONLY fuse in the circuit is the 16A in the box!

Oh....and in our bathroom (not sure it meets CURRENT regs), we have a flozzy light over the sink, with a NON-isolated 16A socket for hairdryer/shaver etc.
As we have delta connection, there is no neutral....and most sockets don't even have an earth!!!!!
One good thing...it's never a problem to work "live"...'cos it only tingles a little when you touch either phase :D

the last reply was over 3 years ago, I don't think they care anymore..
but nice info on the dodgy eurotrash wiring...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back