Lighting from ring main

Sponsored Links
ah... the infamous "red plug"??? fitted on mobile x-ray machines? no fuse in it at all relies on the circuit fuse..

just make your own..

but twice as many as you need, pull out the live pin and fuse from one and put the neutral pin from the second in place of the live pin...
sorted..

NOTE: THIS IS NOT ADVISED AND SHOULD ONLY BE DONE BY PROFESSIONALS AND IN INSTALLATIONS THAT ARE UNDER THE SUPERVISION OF SKILLED PERSONS..

Sponsored Links
Sorry, didn't look at dates....was just searching for cable ratings that "maybe" I could apply to my own house wiring here in Norway.
We also still use "metal" sheathed T+E cables, but at least the sheath is aluminium and not lead!!!!! Still a pain in the bottom to strip back tho'!!!
Strange rules here...any cable that went thro' a WOOD wall (all ours are wood) had to go thro' a steel conduit pipe....guess how many were de-burred before the cable was threaded?!?!!??! (at least now they've decided that was a stupid idea).
Just happy to find a site that has some relevance to me. I remember most of my Hospital training rules for wiring, but old brains get fuzzy.
Gaz

ah... the infamous "red plug"??? fitted on mobile x-ray machines? no fuse in it at all relies on the circuit fuse..

Still got a couple that I used on welders.....NOT much use to me now with the pathetic Euro plugs tho'

Always good to keep a popular thread alive though???? :oops:

just make your own..

but twice as many as you need, pull out the live pin and fuse from one and put the neutral pin from the second in place of the live pin...
sorted..

NOTE: THIS IS NOT ADVISED AND SHOULD ONLY BE DONE BY PROFESSIONALS AND IN INSTALLATIONS THAT ARE UNDER THE SUPERVISION OF SKILLED PERSONS..
I know - but I wasn't serious - I'm happy enough with 15A BS 546s.

Oh dear....I still remember my old dad wrapping his cig paper around a blown fuse and stuffing it back in....for another 5 years or so :oops:
Didn't matter WHAT size fuse...the ally foil made it work again!

When I was about 10, he also made me a "new" bedroom...complete with a desk for homework and a 10W light above it....wired from the ring main with BELL wire, around 3 sides of the room and run under the carpet.
Imagine what happened a couple of years later when I connected a valve TV, Radio, turntable and eventually a COFFEE machine to the same circuit?!?!?!
Red carpet turned dark brown and made a HORRIBLE smell.
Dad's excuse was "I only ran it for the light, but had to put a skt on the wall to plug it in to"........
4 way adaptor into it....wonder why it got hot??

Not the best pictures I know, but:

plug1.jpg
plug2.jpg

We also had some BIGGER, round pin ones....that would take 6mm cables ( I seem to remember 2.5 for the "red" plugs...maybe 4mm at a squeeze).
Each socket was tested for it's impedance, and labelled, and the X-Ray machine had to be set to the correct compensation to allow for voltage drop! PEAK currents were in the region of around 400A...but only for milliseconds...
Also, every earth had to be via WIRE....NOT the conduit. Quite common to have 16mm feeds and 25mm earth leads....all back to a "common" point.

RF Lighting.....just seen where you're from....I worked at LGI for 15 years....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back