Lighting junction box to put into ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

I have ceiling light (batten? a normal bulb held in a fitting like a ceiling rose without a flex) in my porch I want to replace with a flush fit dome light. Porch has a flat roof so I can't get to the top side of my ceiling without removing the roof, as such I can't screw anything down within the ceiling.

I'd like a junction box that I can wire up and stuff into the hole in my ceiling, up into the cavity, then have another cable leading to the flush fit light dome. Are they supposed to be secured to a joist or similar, or is "stuffed into the ceiling cavity" sufficient?

I've seen it done with unenclosed choc blocks, but that seems dodgy.

Thanks in advance,

Donny

Sponsored Links
Is there not enough slack in the cable so you can pull it down into your new fitting ? Otherwise you'd need a MF junction box and I'm assuming above the ceiling is dry

Is there not enough slack in the cable so you can pull it down into your new fitting ? Otherwise you'd need a MF junction box and I'm assuming above the ceiling is dry

Hi Dave, thanks for the response,

There is slack, but the fitting just has L N connections, so nowhere for me to connect up the wiring that would normally be in the ceiling rose. I didn't want choc blocks or similar inside the flush light in case it overheated.

I don't know if junction boxes need to be screwed in to a joist or similar? Any issues just tucking them in?

Above ceiling is dry, flat roof is currently in good nick. Consumer unit is also in the porch.

Sponsored Links
Thanks!

I'd be able to get it back out again as the hole above the light is quite large.

The first link, with the cable clamps looks ideal.

Out of interest, would a "chocbox" also be suitable (for future reference)?

If a connector is on cables attached to a light then it's accessible - remove the light, pull the cable, et voilà.

The problem is not so much one of accessibility, it's knowledge of the joint's presence.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back