lighting problem-please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
simple problem!!!!??????
my utility room light works.
all other lights downstairs do not.
I was removing the bulbs from my 2 x 3-spot lights in the kitchen when all the downstairs lights went out - except the utility room light- the box did not trip.
I checked the wiring and found one loose wire, put it back in and expected all to be well. But no, none of them work.??
I have tripped the box by connecting the live to the neutral, so i know there is power there. I have even wired a simple bulb up but even this does not work.
Am I missing something simple

Sponsored Links
difficult to say without checking the wiring system, but it could be that the utility room is the first light on the run, and you have a disconnected neutral somewhere after that.

that is true ( i concur) but it does not help the poster, to be honest with out seeing / testing it there is not much that can be done, call an electrician

woo hoo
i had the black cables mixed up
changed them round and all lights are now working
except the other spot in the kitchen
this is the one with the simple wiring-red, black, green/yelo
what can possibly be wrong with this one??

Sponsored Links
Had all the black cables mixed up?. Bit confused about that one. They (neutrals) should all be together except any switched live returning from a switch which will be live when turning the switch on. Usual story . Check bulb, check power. It may well be that in unmixing your black wires you have inadvertantly disconected a neutral return to the consumer unit from the kitchen spot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back