Lighting Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All; I would really like someone to let me know if what i am looking for is even possible.

I currently have 3 lights in my lounge (2 wall, 1 Ceiling) they both currently operate on a 2 buttoned dimmer, the first controls both wall light the second the ceiling. My partner has bought us a new ceiling fitting and after installing it we realised it isn't suitable for dimming, we both like the fitting and would like to know if there is a dual switch available that will operate dimming on the wall lights but the other button operate like a normal switch? alternatively is there another work around other than buying a different fitting?

Thanks in advance for any help given,

Steve

Sponsored Links
Yes you can go down the route of grid switches as above.
What is the reason your light wont dim? It's general not down to the fitting but whether the lamps (AKA bulbs) will dim or if any in-line transformer will.
So what type of lamps have you got? As you will need the dimmer and lamps to be compatible with each other and is there a transformer in the fitting?
Also the load rating of the dimmer and the load value of the lamps would be worth looking at.

Yes you can go down the route of grid switches as above.
What is the reason your light wont dim? It's general not down to the fitting but whether the lamps (AKA bulbs) will dim or if any in-line transformer will.
So what type of lamps have you got? As you will need the dimmer and lamps to be compatible with each other and is there a transformer in the fitting?
Also the load rating of the dimmer and the load value of the lamps would be worth looking at.

The fitting instructions states in small letters that it is not suitable for dimming, the lamps are 6 x 10W G4 if that helps. Im not sure about the load rating of the dimmer, I believe it is 250W.

in reasponse to Spark123, can i get this from any electrical wholesaler? Or is it just TLC that can supply?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If they are G4 lamps then I assume a transformer is fitted (will be in the rose of the fitting), it will be the transformer that wont be suitable for dimming.
As far as grid switches unlikely to find them at DIY sheds, will need to go to electrical suppliers.
But screwfix also do them
grid switches
Also be aware you will need a fixing frame for modules.
This may help
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/MK/GridPlus.pdf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back