Lights will not switch off

i will put my money on the timer being set wrong, look at the pic, the red override switch isat the bottom of its position, i think it should be at the top

Sponsored Links
ok try this, make sure the circuit is dead then disconnect the yellow wire from the timer make the end safe then turn on the circuit again do the lights still glow?

breezer said:
i will put my money on the timer being set wrong, look at the pic, the red override switch isat the bottom of its position, i think it should be at the top
That would suggest the switch isn't in circuit then as he was unable to switch off the lights? regardless of an overide on the timer itself

Sponsored Links
breezer said:

Thats because I've been trying to figure out what's going on. The little red switch was at the top (1) position.

I should also point out that this setup was working fine until a couple of days ago when we noticed that the lights did not turn off automatically as they had been.

kendor said:
ok try this, make sure the circuit is dead then disconnect the yellow wire from the timer make the end safe then turn on the circuit again do the lights still glow?

Disconnected yellow from timer, turned circuit on and lights STILL on!

It might be my eyesight but does the terminal with the blue wire on the timer say L or 4?

stevedo said:
kendor said:

That proves that the switch is not an overide off then! at least at the moment.

kendor said:
It might be my eyesight but does the terminal with the blue wire on the timer say L or 4?

It does look a little like that, I've just checked and it is actually 4

kendor said:
It says 4. I have the same type of Smiths timer on my water heater.

Connections, left to right are:

1. Switched live out.
2. Neutral (linked internally to #4)
3. Earth
4. Neutral.
5. Live supply.

kendor said:
stevedo said:
kendor said:

That proves that the switch is not an overide off then!

That begs the question what does the switch do then?

does the timer still work now the yellow is disconnected? can you hear the motor whirring?

stevedo said:
In that case there is a short on the wiring somewhere else on the circuit. Time to find where that cable goes!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back