Lights will not switch off

Paul_C said:
kendor said:
It might be my eyesight but does the terminal with the blue wire on the timer say L or 4?
It says 4. I have the same type of Smiths timer on my water heater.

Connections, left to right are:

1. Switched live out.
2. Neutral (linked internally to #4)
3. Earth
4. Neutral.
5. Live supply.
cheers paul that info could prove useful

Sponsored Links
kendor said:
does the timer still work now the yellow is disconnected? can you hear the motor whirring?

Yes the timer is working with the yellow wire removed.

I have some ideas from when he mentioned that the lamps are ES screw but i need a few more clues before i suggest anything.

Sponsored Links
do they all go out when you unscrew any of the lamps?

sorry to be so longwinded but it's a process of elimination

I've just removed one of the bulbs and the other 2 stayed on. Shall I try any more (a bit more difficult as out of reach)

Steve,
The tests so far indicate a short between the live feed and switch return.

Have you done any work in the house where you could have put a screw or nail into a cable by accident?

is there another more local switch that may be overiding the timer and switch?

No, nothing other than removing tiles from a shower room, no electrics involved.

stevedo said:
breezer said:
i will put my money on the timer being set wrong, look at the pic, the red override switch isat the bottom of its position, i think it should be at the top

Thats because I've been trying to figure out what's going on. The little red switch was at the top (1) position.

what happens if you move it back to the top then?

I would concur with paul either a short or another more local to the lights overide switch

kendor said:
is there another more local switch that may be overiding the timer and switch?

Not that I know of. We're still fairly new to the house so that's not to say that there isn't another switch

breezer said:
stevedo said:
breezer said:
i will put my money on the timer being set wrong, look at the pic, the red override switch isat the bottom of its position, i think it should be at the top

Thats because I've been trying to figure out what's going on. The little red switch was at the top (1) position.

what happens if you move it back to the top then?
he did mention he couldn't turn off the lights using the switch, with the connections supplied earlier this would suggest that the timers overide switch position wouldn't matter in this case.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back